• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Rattle Can Camo Questions and thoughts?

RJTM998

Alright guys had a few questions about doing a freshen-up rattle can paint job on my M998 (see pic below). I know it is best to clean and prep the surface and start with a base of green, etc, etc.
Could I just clean the surface and use a rattle can to just follow the existing camo pattern to freshen up the paint? Bad idea? I am pretty decent with a rattle can but have not done a full vehicle with an existing camo pattern. I want to keep it as close to the original and not hurt the value since it is a pretty nice example.

It is not terrible, to begin with, but wanted to make it look a little better but am afraid in the end it will just look worse. Just want the thoughts of some of the resident experts that have done similar projects. How much does doing stuff like that hurt or improve the value?

Leave it as is? Touch up the frame, bumpers, wheels, etc in flat black and let it roll? I will probably do the brush guard in OD also just to fix a little rusting issues.

Thoughts?

I appreciate any help and allowing me on the forum. I look forward to gaining knowledge and sharing my experience.

20220518_150342 (1).jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a truck that had intact but faded CARC, like yours. I started with the idea that I was just going to touch up the black and stop there.

I ended up doing the entire truck. I was very pleased with the outcome. I'll be doing it again with other trucks.

Do it freehand. The inevitable overspray makes for a good transition between colors. I did a lot of mine with a green can in one hand and a black can in the other....

As to value, it probably doesn't make a huge difference between "fresh rattle can" and "faded CARC".

RJTM998

I had a truck that had intact but faded CARC, like yours. I started with the idea that I was just going to touch up the black and stop there.

I ended up doing the entire truck. I was very pleased with the outcome. I'll be doing it again with other trucks.

Do it freehand. The inevitable overspray makes for a good transition between colors. I did a lot of mine with a green can in one hand and a black can in the other....

As to value, it probably doesn't make a huge difference between "fresh rattle can" and "faded CARC".
Thanks for the reply, that is the type feedback I was looking for. What paint (brand) did you go with?

ToddJK

I rattle canned my deuce last summer and it's already faded. Not a huge deal, but better quality paint will last longer. YMMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks