• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 recovery in Topeka,KS

aghumvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picking up my M998 in Topeka,KS tommorrow.

I bought a rear hub and ball joints for it so we can winch onto the trailer without the help of forklifts(If the national guard did not get bored and move it before I get there:sad:).

I will post pictures of the recovery in the next few days.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Cool , if I did not already have an apt to get teeth cleaned I could have met you there. Good luck on the recovery.

Stein12501

I had my eye on that one. Looked like most everything was sitting in the truck. You'll have a nice vehicle when you get it all together. Congrats!!!

aghumvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The recovery went good yesterday. Got to the KSNG in Topeka around 9:00. Went to the gate and the guards checked us in and told us which building to go to. One of the motorpool ladies took us to find the humvee. They located it and they asked if they want them to load it with a forklift. I said I would like to put the rear hub and wheel/tire on it and winch onto the trailer first. My dad and I put the rear hub on it and it now sits like a normal humvee. We also put the windshield back on and took the cargo cover off.

The national guard people were great and helpful. We forgot some wood blocks and the lady took her gator and went looking for some and brough a couple blocks to use.

We left there at 11:00(Alot of talking from 9 to 11). Got home around 2:00.

On the way home we got oil filter and oil pan/transmission pan drain plugs.
I first made sure the motor is not locked up by turning the crankshaft. It turns!!!!! I was so releived. My dad and I put fluids in it and batteries. Could not fill transmission since dipstick and the tube were gone.
We cranked it and fired up with the little diesel it still had in the system. Also did not want to run more than a couple seconds with no tranny fluid.

All in all a very nice humvee.

There are things missing though with the biggest surprise of no transfer case. Luckily that the pallet with motor and transmission next also had a tranfercase laying there. I asked the national guard lady (Mrs. Hunt) of it would be OK to take the transfercase since it probably was to this humvee. She made a phone call and then said we could take it.
Got home and inspected transfercase and we will have to rebuild it.

Things that are missing but I have already found almost everything;
Half Shaft bolts
Tranny dipstick/tube
Wiper motor
mirrors
misc. bolts/washers
few wheel studs and lugnuts
headlights
Battery crossover and neg cable(Batt Box only)

Will post more when we get it drivable.(Hopefully this weekend)
I cant wait to drive my humvee in the fields.

Andrew

Attachments

aghumvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been working on the humvee about every night since I got it. Finally got it running and it was a blast driving it. The engine temp was getting up to 200 degrees so will have to see whats going on with that.

Had to replace the fuel pump. I did alot of cranking which did no good. Luckily Oreillys had a fuel pump for a regular 6.2 in stock and $20 buck later if ran. I will have to replace it eventually with a humvee specific with the vent barbed fitting and the inlet barb is clocked differently.

Still have some other things to do to it though before its actually perfect.

Did not get any picture but will soon.

Andrew

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks