• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack endt 673 upgrade

Shawnb1976

What Engine ( bellhousings) will bolt up to my mack powered m54, i want either bigger engine or more gears to better use the power i have. So what engines will bolt up to my trans or trans to my motor. Any help would be appreciated

pmramsey

You might want to look at what transmissions Mack matched up with the ENDT 673 engines in their commerical fleet. I recall a 10-speed duplex and 18 and 20 speed transmissions in the 60s and 70s. There are some of these transmissions stilling working in the field and there are still a few companies rebuilding and selling thoses transmissions.

The trailer is a 1954 M 269 wrecker lowboy with S cam air brakes I added the ramps and beaver tail . This picture was taken when I used a M211 to take a set of trailer axles off with a tow bar.

I have looked for other transmissions and the non overdrive 5 speed when using the transfer case to split the gears work good .

Attachments

fasttruck

My unit had some M52A1s with overdriven transmissions and on stock tires they would do 60 mph on flat ground. Ran faster than a M818 and pulled harder than a M52A2. Reference post 8: those compound Mack transmissions are too long to fit between the engine bell housing and the front of the transfer case. They will also not mate up to the air operated 4 wheel drive components in the 5t transfer case. If you spend enough time and money on it the swap will work but it won't be easy. If you are going to give up the 6 wheel drive, why have one ? I saw a M123 go up for auction in MD several years ago with a Mack TRQ7220 in it but they had to give up the transfer case to make it fit.

Shawnb1976

Been a while since ive posted, had major surgery and just now getting back to working on the war pig!! Almost finished with fabing up pass side rear fenders and steps!! Cant stand the standard... trailer bed everyone uses... i prefer a bed that is correctly proportioned to the cab and i hate the look of the small fenderwells the trailer has. With the 9" of travel in the rear suspension ( custom 4 link and bags) the tires would rip a trailer bed off!! Lol anyway, progress!!!!!E12080A8-5565-4334-A57F-8D4AEE91E074.jpeg2F457E6D-2788-484E-BF61-37A0909E8E85.jpeg17F81A84-D61C-4981-BB3D-11E1A6C1FC86.jpegE12080A8-5565-4334-A57F-8D4AEE91E074.jpeg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks