• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mack Motor Demand

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there much of a demand for Mack engines? I have done a lot of reading on the older 5 tons and from what I have learned they are a very desirable motor but there are not a lot out there. The reason I ask is I found an M54A1C that is in VERY rough condition outside from being used in the woods and the t-case is broke but it runs good and I want the axles. The frame has been cut and it would take way too much to save this one. The motor and tranny I don't have a use for (unless I can stuff them in a deuce:)) and I was wondering if there is any demand for a good takeout motor or if I will sit on it for years. Sorry, no pics unless I buy it and get it home.

fasttruck

it will only fit in a 5 ton and in addition to the motor and the trans you will need several of the harnesses, the throttle linkage, power steering lines etc as almost everything that attaches to the engine is in a different place compared to a continental in a a2.

AMGeneral

I'll be glad to take it off your hands,I need another spare engine for my 3 Mack powered trucks.

fasttruck is correct though,just about everything is specific to the Mack powered truck,harness,throttle linkage,radiator,primary fuel filter housing/filter, exhaust "J" pipe,even the alternator/genarator pulley is Mack specific.

Heck even the throttle/engine stop cables are specific to the Mack powered trucks.

Last edited:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I guess I thought there would be more similarities to the deuces or other 5 tons. Oh well, I think I might get it and hope for a buyer for the motor and t-case after I get the axles out.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would get it, get the axles, springs, mounts, what ever ealse you need, cut the front off, drop the xcase, keep the drivelines, scrap the rest unless someone comes up with a need

vtdeucedriver

I'll be glad to take it off your hands,I need another spare engine for my 3 Mack powered trucks.

fasttruck is correct though,just about everything is specific to the Mack powered truck,harness,throttle linkage,radiator,primary fuel filter housing/filter,even the alternator/genarator pulley is Mack specific.

Heck even the throttle/engine stop cables are specific to the Mack powered trucks.
Oh jeese

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to go pick it up today! I'll post some pics when I get back. One question I have (slightly off topic) is if the t-case rear output shaft is broke should the truck still drive assuming the front part is fine? I'm not driving it home, just onto my trailer.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
depends if the tcase is broke inside, is just the drive line to the rears is broke, all is ok, if output shaft is broke as this shaft also drives the front sprag clutch, no, if the rear output drive flange is broke or broke off only then the tcase should be ok to load
hope this help

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple pics. The rear output shaft is broke but it goes backwards. Makes finding a parking spot or turning around rather interesting! Probably not a usable body panel on it but seems to run good, at least in reverse!

Attachments

Last edited:

AMGeneral

WOW:shock:

Looks like the hood and engine side panels/air cleaner are salvegable,but that's about it for the body.

Got your PM,will respond soon.

Long trip,about 2,268 miles round trip from here to there

Could you make a short video of it running and post it here?

Last edited:

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a lot of deuce stuff too, maybe someone on the trip might need something delivered to help cover fuel costs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks