• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAK Marine Armor Kit question

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my M1123 had the MAK added to it, then stripped off before sale. It will has the heavy springs under it from the kit.

The question I have is do the changes they made for the MAK affect it's max load rating.

I was looking up the kit, and the 4 door version could weigh 3800 lbs. Truck only had a max rating of 4400 lbs load to begin with, so 600 lbs for 4 people plus gear doesn't seem realistic.

I'm wondering because even though my truck isn't armored, I tend to be a little heavy. Last time I crossed the scales with the BEOD and gear, I was at 9400 lbs.
I am about to add some heavy jack rails and skid plates underneath it, about 500 lbs worth of steel (yes, probably a little overkill, but it's all on the bottom so it won't affect my center of gravity negatively) which would put me right about 10k lbs, and the base M1123 is rated at 10,300 lbs.

I know the springs under it, at least the front ones, are for the M1113 trucks. 6000 lbs per inch compression rated according to what I can find online. Massive overkill for an unarmored truck.
Not sure the rear springs, but I'd imagine they are also from the M1113/M1114 trucks. A couple inches compression with the BEOD on fully loaded, but ride much nicer with that weight.

So does anyone know if they increased the weight rating in service with the MAK suspension under it or was the spring upgrade just to keep it from sagging so much?

Hummer Guy

So my M1123 had the MAK added to it, then stripped off before sale. It will has the heavy springs under it from the kit.

The question I have is do the changes they made for the MAK affect it's max load rating.

I was looking up the kit, and the 4 door version could weigh 3800 lbs. Truck only had a max rating of 4400 lbs load to begin with, so 600 lbs for 4 people plus gear doesn't seem realistic.

I'm wondering because even though my truck isn't armored, I tend to be a little heavy. Last time I crossed the scales with the BEOD and gear, I was at 9400 lbs.
I am about to add some heavy jack rails and skid plates underneath it, about 500 lbs worth of steel (yes, probably a little overkill, but it's all on the bottom so it won't affect my center of gravity negatively) which would put me right about 10k lbs, and the base M1123 is rated at 10,300 lbs.

I know the springs under it, at least the front ones, are for the M1113 trucks. 6000 lbs per inch compression rated according to what I can find online. Massive overkill for an unarmored truck.
Not sure the rear springs, but I'd imagine they are also from the M1113/M1114 trucks. A couple inches compression with the BEOD on fully loaded, but ride much nicer with that weight.

So does anyone know if they increased the weight rating in service with the MAK suspension under it or was the spring upgrade just to keep it from sagging so much?
From what I know, the suspension springs were upgraded to more heavy duty springs once they started getting the MAK Armor kits, as for the half shafts and other 12k parts, I wouldn't know.

BLK HMMWV

you could always use a set of H1 factory aluminum jack rail/skid plates and save some weight?

BLK HMMWV

I just spent $550 for a 20 foot stick of 3/8" 4x4" angle iron and a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" steel and I'm cleaned out for a while.
Wow.
I have a set of the H1 aluminum skid plates / jack rails in my yard that need a new home.
they are in the white as in bare aluminum . I was going to chop them up but went a different route.
I ended up making my own set of jack rails for the removable side steps and ammo can carriers and never used them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks