• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine M37 build

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37 build

Okay gentlemen, I did not want to start the M37 build until I had time to get the truck parts.

Now that I have my 1954 M37 Marine Corps wrench truck with clear title, and a 1965 M37 Marine part donor truck with no tittle.

My goal is to take both of these truck and make one great truck. Now my plan was to make a veitnam Army MP truck. That was before I found out that both of these two veterans were Marine Corps truck. I did a little research to discover about the paper clip tie downs on the front bumper and the shackle hooks on the rear bumper. From what I understand that these points were tie down point on the transportation ships for the Marines.

So now Being a Army veteran, I am going to respect the service of the truck so I am going take these two trucks and make a one good Marine corps MP truck.

I will keep you posted as this build developments.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Luck with your project! Having a donor truck really helps; it give you trading stock, too.

I really like the little round mirrors under the rectangle mirrors.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The donor truck has really good body pieces and the 54 has all the stock mechanical components and the winch. My total investment is at 2800 that includes transport fees.

GUNNY 155

M37 MD1A.jpg Looks like you will be in for many enjoyable hours of fun. But take heart if you keep at it you will get there. Feel free to contact me for help and advice.

GUNNY 155

I will base my statement on what I observed when I was in. So from an official stand point I saw no depot modifications such as what might have been done at Barstow CA. At the organizational level I did see some units mount an eye bolt to the dash like the one used for the troop strap on the cargo bed, They also welded a piece of chain link to the shifter. They could then use a piece of chain and pad lock to lock the vehicle in gear so it could not be "barrowed". Some units also just wrapped a length of chain around the steering column under the dash and then looped it through the steering wheel with a pad lock. This is what I have on mine. I had a canvas sleeve made for the chain by New Life Canvas. The other thing you would see is a lifting handle on the front of the hood to help opining it. Lastly, some times two pieces of angle iron drilled and welded to the body and door of the tool compartment so they could be locked. If by chance you do not have a set of the rear lifting brackets that go around the rear lights I have the drawings needed to fabricate them. They are pretty hard to find though they do pop up on ebay once in awhile. The Marines did not seem to go for the fender mounted heater either so I sold the kit to a guy doing an army M37. Since I live in Illinois I took a NOS heater kit for a M151 mutt that I got from Beechwood Canvas and tucked it up under the dash and other than having to make one mounting bracket and take a hole saw to the firewall it was a snap to install and looks just like it was made for it.

Dodge man

FYI, I also have a USMC M37 and a USMC M38A1. In addition to the paper clips and rear tiedowns, the USMC vehicles are heavily undercoated. At least both of mine are. Neither of mine had a eyebolt on the dash or a welded chain or a tie down point for a chain. But I did see such things on M37s and M38A1s that belonged to the Florida ANG back in the 1960s. IIRC they welded the chain to the floor in front of the drivers seat and then looped it through the steering wheel and locked it so the SW couldn't be turned.

Highpoint, I gothough Eustis almost every week. I'll shoot you a PM.

GUNNY 155

Very true what Dodge Man says about the under coating. I picked up two take off fenders because mine were in pretty bad shape. They were indeed USMC fenders based on the color and under coating. I have also had others tell me USMC vehicles were undercoated which makes sense since we operated our vehicles a lot around salt water. Funny thing is I do not remember actually noting undercoating on our vehicles nor seeing it done at any USMC repair areas so my guess is that this was applied at the USMC Depot at Barstow in CA before being delivered to USMC bases.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of sets of take off USMC rear lifting / tie down brackets if anyone is interested. They do not have the shackles with them. Just the brackets you attach to the truck. You'll have find your own shackles, if interested.

Just PM me if interested.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started the tear down of the rusty pink truck today. Man the bolts where not easy to unbolt even after being saturated in penetrating oil for three weeks. I took off the side fender panels, windshield, front grill, head lights, both doors, side mirror, and started disassembly of the dash before I ran out of sun light. The good news is a lot of reusable parts, bad new I need to take a trip to AC hardware for a lot of washer, nuts, and bolts. I want to take off the wrench, bumpers, fenders, and hood. I also in the process of rebuilding the carb. I had to buy another bowl because the one I had was stripped out. I have some picture coming this way.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
like this

I will base my statement on what I observed when I was in. So from an official stand point I saw no depot modifications such as what might have been done at Barstow CA. At the organizational level I did see some units mount an eye bolt to the dash like the one used for the troop strap on the cargo bed, They also welded a piece of chain link to the shifter. They could then use a piece of chain and pad lock to lock the vehicle in gear so it could not be "barrowed". Some units also just wrapped a length of chain around the steering column under the dash and then looped it through the steering wheel with a pad lock. This is what I have on mine. I had a canvas sleeve made for the chain by New Life Canvas. The other thing you would see is a lifting handle on the front of the hood to help opining it. Lastly, some times two pieces of angle iron drilled and welded to the body and door of the tool compartment so they could be locked. If by chance you do not have a set of the rear lifting brackets that go around the rear lights I have the drawings needed to fabricate them. They are pretty hard to find though they do pop up on ebay once in awhile. The Marines did not seem to go for the fender mounted heater either so I sold the kit to a guy doing an army M37. Since I live in Illinois I took a NOS heater kit for a M151 mutt that I got from Beechwood Canvas and tucked it up under the dash and other than having to make one mounting bracket and take a hole saw to the firewall it was a snap to install and looks just like it was made for it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks