• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marvel Mystery Oil

zout

I have allowed this in our fleet trucks and as well as Sea Foam products - these are great long standing mfg's with a great product that works.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used it to free up an engine that had been sitting unused for 15 or more years. Pulled the plugs, poured some in each cylinder, let it soak for 2 weeks, and it promptly fired right up next time. I did it just in case the pistons had stuck to the cylinder walls, I didn't have an idea of the history of the engine , so better safe than sorry.

mikes47jeep

MMO is a good product

it seems to keep the gaskets supple and the jets clear in carburators

as maddawg said it is really good for breaking old engines free

its been around since 1923 so they must be doing something right

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have regularly used in harleys and it seems to work really well at preventing carbon build up in the cylinders

Srjeeper

2cents

I've used MMO in the fuel system for many, many years and believe it keeps the fuel system working and clean. Put a quart in the Deuce fuel tank about three times a season and in my everyday vehicles at every oil change. It's also what I use as a stabilizer when I park something for the winter. I've never used it in the crankcase, but others that do sing it's praises.

:driver:

Last edited:

stumps

Here is an interesting article on oil additives. It was originally printed in Road Rider magazine in August 1992. Road Rider is now Motorcycle Consumer News. Dig in, it's pleasant reading:

Snake Oil! - Is That Additive Really A Negative? .: Articles

This is what they have to say about MMO:
Many of the older, better-known oil treatments on the market do not make claims nearly so lavish as the new upstarts. Old standbys like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, instead offer things like "quieter lifters," "reduced oil burning" and a "cleaner engine."
Most of these products are made up of solvents and detergents designed to dissolve sludge and carbon deposits inside your engine so they can be flushed or burned out. Wynn's Friction Proofing Oil, for example, is 83 percent kerosene. Other brands use naphthalene, xylene, acetone and isopropanol. Usually, these ingredients will be found in a base of standard mineral oil.

In general, these products are designed to do just the opposite of what the PTFE and zinc phosphate additives claim to do. Instead of leaving behind a "coating" or a "plating" on your engine surfaces, they are designed to strip away such things.
All of these products will strip sludge and deposits out and clean up your engine, particularly if it is an older, abused one. The problem is, unless you have some way of determining just how much is needed to remove your deposits without going any further, such solvents also can strip away the boundary lubrication layer provided by your oil. Overuse of solvents is an easy trap to fall into, and one which can promote harmful metal-to-metal contact within your engine.

As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and were at least moderately useful on older automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past two decades.
I sometimes use MMO when I machine aluminum, mostly because I like the wintergreen smell. I also use WD40 and kerosene for the same job... usually I just use kerosene.

-Chuck

roscoe

Here is an interesting article on oil additives. It was originally printed in Road Rider magazine in August 1992. Road Rider is now Motorcycle Consumer News. Dig in, it's pleasant reading:

Snake Oil! - Is That Additive Really A Negative? .: Articles

This is what they have to say about MMO:
I sometimes use MMO when I machine aluminum, mostly because I like the wintergreen smell. I also use WD40 and kerosene for the same job... usually I just use kerosene.

-Chuck
An interesting read posted by stumps. A comprehensive look at the various additives and what they do and don't do. Well worth reading if you plan on using any.

Skip

I have been using it for as long as I can remember. For every thing from air tools to freeing up frozen pistons to keeping the fuel system clean.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been using MMO for decades usually added to the gas. All I can say is when I changed spark plugs after 50,000miles, the plugs would be clean, with no carbon build up.

stumps

Been using MMO for decades usually added to the gas. All I can say is when I changed spark plugs after 50,000miles, the plugs would be clean, with no carbon build up.
Interesting, We all have been forced to use unleaded gas "for decades", and since we switched over to unleaded gas, I too haven't had any problem with carbon buildup on spark plugs... except for engines that are burning copious amounts of oil. I'm pretty sure that MMO is just kerosene with some added wintergreen oil and red dye.

-Chuck

dmetalmiki

Put LUCAS in it Dale... rofl

Grandfather used to put a pint per tank in all the cars he had. No problems from what I can remember, his mechanic even spoke highly of it.
hmm, Simply adusts the structure of the original oil and all its desigated additive and protection features. So stick to the orriginal good quality oils.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks