• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Central FL M1031 project

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello All.
I have manageto get few more things done lately. The back of the cab is now painted.
View attachment 903559
I hope to get the back glass in this week. Once that is done, I will be ready to put the work box back on.

Apparently either I am able to or I am not smart enough to upload video. I have been installing the LED lights on the work box

View attachment 903560

So, all I can do are screen shots.

View attachment 903561

I will keep trying to do a little each day. Darned lately though…
No lack of brain power on your part...

This site doesn't directly host video files. If you put your videos on a YouTube account that you create for yourself - posting a link here will work.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good times this evening. The rear glass was installed yesterday. After school today I managed, with my good buddy Archimedes, to mount the work box back on the frame today. You get creative when you have to work alone.

IMG_5050.jpeg
IMG_8403.jpeg
IMG_8404.jpeg
IMG_8405.jpeg
IMG_8406.jpeg
IMG_8407.jpeg
IMG_8408.jpeg

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been very busy in the last three months. The balance between family, work, and hobby have been shifting a lot. Family has sadly been on the short end of the stick. I am working to correct the imbalance.
I have gotten a lot accomplished on the hobby side.
I have learned how to rebuild vent windows, not the most fun of tasks, but very satisfying when complete.
IMG_8452.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpegIMG_8484.jpeg

more photos coming this evening.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the following pictures are self explanatory, but I will comment as I reflect upon them.

IMG_8489.jpeg
I took as far down as I am able.
IMG_8504.jpeg
Good and green again. I put roll on bedliner on the floor pans before painting.
IMG_8517.jpeg
It feels good to be putting things together rather than disassembly.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exspensive, but well worth it.

IMG_8521.jpeg
This was really interesting to learn. The glass guy would not do it. Youtube to the rescue!
IMG_8554.jpeg

i made a better battery disconnect switch plate than the fire department. Theirs was functional and expedient but I prefer mine.
IMG_8559.jpeg

There is still much to do. All the tie rod ends and drag link, fron shocks, headlight harness upgrade and figure out the windshield washer.
IMG_8657.jpeg

Still, it was ready enough to drive behind my Cadets in the local Veteran’s Day parade.

Screenshot_20231111_132937_Gallery.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20231111_132918_Gallery.jpeg
Thanks for looking!

Keep them on the road, they still serve like we do!

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exspensive, but well worth it.

View attachment 910382
This was really interesting to learn. The glass guy would not do it. Youtube to the rescue!
View attachment 910385

i made a better battery disconnect switch plate than the fire department. Theirs was functional and expedient but I prefer mine.
View attachment 910386

There is still much to do. All the tie rod ends and drag link, fron shocks, headlight harness upgrade and figure out the windshield washer.
View attachment 910387

Still, it was ready enough to drive behind my Cadets in the local Veteran’s Day parade.

View attachment 910388
View attachment 910389
Thanks for looking!

Keep them on the road, they still serve like we do!
What dash pad did you end up going with?

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening all.

Back into the fray…. I suspect I am having transfer case to transmission gasket and seal issues. The dipstick on the trans shows full when cold, I removed the fill plug for the transfer case and almost took a cherry juice shower.

So, now I am collecting parts to reseal everything. I may try to farm this out so it will get done faster.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A question for the community.
Which gasket or seal fails to cause fluid to flow from the thm400 into the transfer case?

thank you to all who answer

Gormin

A question for the community.
Which gasket or seal fails to cause fluid to flow from the thm400 into the transfer case?

thank you to all who answer
I was having the same issue in my M1009 about year ago ( ATF from TH400 was constantly transferring and overfilling NP208 ), and replacing the “Transfer Case Input Shaft Seal” solve the problem.

I can give you the part number but I think M1031 came with NP205 transfer case, so you should search for this type of seal or maybe some other member would have specific replacement part number.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All. Been getting work done lately. Resealed the transfer case over the last month.

IMG_9020.jpeg

yesterday I removed the trans crossmember, torque converter cover and torque converter bolts and unbolted the starter. Today after cleaning up the shop I pulled the transmission, power washed everything. Got it setup on the engine stand to reseal it.

IMG_9024.jpeg

IMG_9026.jpeg

IMG_9028.jpeg

Finished pulling the starter. Once I get the engine out to clean and reseal I will replace all the body mounts.

IMG_9030.jpeg

IMG_9031.jpeg
Everything I am seeing so far confirms to me that the 16k miles is very accurate.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing the seal and gasket on the front pump went surprisingly well. Homemade slide hammers work well except for the one pinched finger.
IMG_9035.jpeg
Very clean inside the trans. Barely any grit on the magnet. I am replacing the original pan with a new one that has a drain plug.

IMG_9036.jpeg
IMG_9037.jpeg
IMG_9038.jpeg
One of the cats decided to visit while I was working.
IMG_9045.jpeg
Almost done with the trans. Need to drill small holes in the old shifter seal and run screws in to pull it out and put in the new one.

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One last update for today.

used a 1/16 drill bit to drill two holes in the shifter shaft seal. Screwed in two #8 screws, used vise grips to lock on and then a large flat tip to provide leverage to walk it out.

IMG_9047.jpeg
No damage to the shaft.

IMG_9046.jpeg

A little Dexron III on the seal and a 9/16 deep socket to tap it in.

New gasket on the governor cover and a new modulator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks