• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maybe in the market for a nhc250

505m818

I just got an m818 in non running condition. It had a small hole in the oil pan below no.1 cylinder. Basically I knew it wasn’t a rod so I got it started and it ran fine minus the huge oil leak. I took the pan off to repair the hole and found tons of quarter to 50 cent pieces of the cylinder liner. Basically where the liner hanges down below the block is all broken off flush with the block. My plan was to just replace no1 piston and liner but…. Should I be pricing engines? Anyone know where I can find one?

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Wes has some good options on the table, I’d recommend booting the wheezing 250 to the curb and toss something in that’ll actually last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear some say they don’t like the NHC250. I’m wondering why. In 2019 I was in Utah and had to make a mad dash home to Michigan. I put my foot on the floor, only stoped for food, fuel and a little shut eye. I beat that engine for two and half days at full throttle. If these are bad engines, it’s lost on me…

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear some say they don’t like the NHC250. I’m wondering why. In 2019 I was in Utah and had to make a mad dash home to Michigan. I put my foot on the floor, only stoped for food, fuel and a little shut eye. I beat that engine for two and half days at full throttle. If these are bad engines, it’s lost on me…
Concur. I just drove one KS to IL to NM , dragging a loaded semi trailer.

@EricTheHoly may have a take out in the not so distant future.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are enough take outs around. Look up the belly and see if the cam is damaged. If you can see the lower liner receiver, look to see it is not all beat up. If both of those are serviceable, pull the head and see what happened. Liners don't just break, something happened. Possible over heat, you can look at the parts of the liner in the pan to determine that, there will be heavy score marks and usually metal transfer to the liner if it stuck a piston. I have seen keepers and retainers pop off/break away from the valve and the top of valve stems break off. When that happens, the valve follows the piston down to BDC, falls out of the guide and when the piston starts it's upward travel, the valve causes the piston to cock in the bore and you get the type of parts in the pan you have. The valve looks like a pretztel and is embedded into the crown of the piston, looks kinda cool! Pull it down and see what happened, we like pictures!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are enough take outs around. Look up the belly and see if the cam is damaged. If you can see the lower liner receiver, look to see it is not all beat up. If both of those are serviceable, pull the head and see what happened. Liners don't just break, something happened. Possible over heat, you can look at the parts of the liner in the pan to determine that, there will be heavy score marks and usually metal transfer to the liner if it stuck a piston. I have seen keepers and retainers pop off/break away from the valve and the top of valve stems break off. When that happens, the valve follows the piston down to BDC, falls out of the guide and when the piston starts it's upward travel, the valve causes the piston to cock in the bore and you get the type of parts in the pan you have. The valve looks like a pretztel and is embedded into the crown of the piston, looks kinda cool! Pull it down and see what happened, we like pictures!
If this happens, can the engine be saved or does it become scrap?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My neighbor said he put 2 million miles on his small cam but he said you have to be smart with your foot to keep from burning a piston.

Reactions: 98G

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this happens, can the engine be saved or does it become scrap?
As long as the block isn't beat up at the lower receiver and the cam is good, you can one or two hole it. But, it has been a bit, but I do not remember if you can mix 3 and 4 ring pistons. New stuff, from Cummins, will be 3 ring type. There might be aftermarket parts made that are 4 ring.

Edit, looked at the pics, the block looks like it wasn't hit. Wonder what got in there> Roll the engine over to put the piston at BDC and have a look at the skirt to see if it is scored.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks