• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mel-006a

bruce1776

We finally got our Mel-006a running engine runs great, but I am only getting 30v from phase to neutral and 54v from phase to phase and the highest HZ I can get is 56 no matter what I do to the adjuster
On the voltage adjuster that does not seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Guyfang

Staff member
On start up, try holding the S1 start switch up longer. The sets sometimes need the "extra" time to be excited. If that doesn't work , we can go from there. What is an "adjuster"?

Last edited:

bruce1776

On start up, try holding the S1 start switch up longer. The sets sometimes need the "extra" time to be excited. If that doesn't work , we can go from there. What is an "adjuster"?
The adjuster is the name I use for the frequency knob under the dial gage, not sure if is the correct name thought

Guyfang

Staff member
That is a non functioning control. It is only used on the sets outfitted with a Governing system. The frequency/Hertz is controlled by the round black knob, slightly below and to the right of the control panel. Its to be set, then left alone. you then can start the set and it is automatically going to run at 60 hertz. You can make minor adjustments if needed. Would suggest you open up the -12 TM, and read how to properly operate the set. You have downloaded the TM's?

bruce1776

That is a non functioning control. It is only used on the sets outfitted with a Governing system. The frequency/Hertz is controlled by the round black knob, slightly below and to the right of the control panel. Its to be set, then left alone. you then can start the set and it is automatically going to run at 60 hertz. You can make minor adjustments if needed. Would suggest you open up the -12 TM, and read how to properly operate the set. You have downloaded the TM's?
Thank you, yes I downloaded 12 & 34, but have not gone to get them printed yet, so for me it is a little hard to follow on the screen. We had purchased two units one the engine runs but no generation the other we can get it to run on starting fluid and see it generate for that short period of time on the dials, but are trying to trace down the issues. So far the fuel pumps were gummed up as well as the float in the day tank so we cleaned them and now we are looking at the injection pump

Guyfang

Staff member
Pick one set, and lets get started. Both at one time is not a good idea.

Dump some seafoam, or something like in into the IP. Also put several cup full into the day tank, when its almost empty. Let set for a day or three.

bruce1776

we have the unit running, but it still has the issue when I let S1 go to the run position It looses voltage from the 208 it is suppose to have and drops to about 30-50 vac

Guyfang

Staff member
Then you probably have a problem in the static exciter. If you have a parts unit, try changing the entire static exciter box. If it works, we can go back and maybe see whats the problem. Pull the exciter cover off and see if everything is there, and if it looks burnt up.

When the S1 is pushed up, the S9-1 lets the set start, and when it hits the right RPM the S9-1 trips. the starter kicks out, the gen set gets excitation voltage, lights off the main gen Then when you drop the S1, the exciter/volt regulator takes over. That's why you lose voltage. The exciter/volt reg fails to continue to excite the main gen.

Last edited:

bruce1776

Then you probably have a problem in the static exciter. If you have a parts unit, try changing the entire static exciter box. If it works, we can go back and maybe see whats the problem. Pull the exciter cover off and see if everything is there, and if it looks burnt up.

When the S1 is pushed up, the S9-1 lets the set start, and when it hits the right RPM the S9-1 trips. the starter kicks out, the gen set gets excitation voltage, lights off the main gen Then when you drop the S1, the exciter/volt regulator takes over. That's why you lose voltage. The exciter/volt reg fails to continue to excite the main gen.
we have the unit generating the correct voltage and frq, but we found that CB2 was seized we took it off and cleaned it up and it moves now, i want to test it with S1 on but gen not running will S3 work to be able to test CB2?

Guyfang

Staff member
Push in CB1.
Place S2 in the run position.
Place the S7 in the Battle Short position.
Place the S3 in the Closed position.

You should hear the CB2 close. A nice "thunk". Then you can check the load terminals for continuity, without any danger.

ajallow80

I have the MEP006A diesel generator currently set at 120/208 V and would like to convert it to 240/416 V.
Looked and the TM but couldn't find any detail instructions on how to do this. The generator is to be used to
operate equipment that require 3 phase 380 volts. The generator currently only gets up to 240 volts max and
that's with the voltage adjuster cracked all the way up. Any ideas folks? thanks in advance.

Guyfang

Staff member
I have the MEP006A diesel generator currently set at 120/208 V and would like to convert it to 240/416 V.
Looked and the TM but couldn't find any detail instructions on how to do this. The generator is to be used to
operate equipment that require 3 phase 380 volts. The generator currently only gets up to 240 volts max and
that's with the voltage adjuster cracked all the way up. Any ideas folks? thanks in advance.
Please start your own thread, Its very hard for us to give two different people help, on the same thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks