• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My $40K wrecker (M936A1) refurbished at Memphis Equipment

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what the stump in the M105A2 weighs. That trailer is really squatting down. I've had around 8,000 pounds of seasoned hardwood in mine, and it never squatted down like that.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay so hopefully all goes well from here forward. As a side note to completely rebuild a M939 series M931A2 in 2010 was $65,000 and that is a RSMS price where the contract was for hundreds of trucks. The wreckers were around $150k . To anybody who thinks that he was ripped off come on down and I will let you help me work on my wreckers for a week and I believe that you will change your mind. Cleaning, repairs to the obvious, and painting a wrecker could easily cost over $40k . Glad they stepped up and fired your truck they are a good company and probably have lost money on your sale at this point.
I respectfully disagree with you on the value of the vehicle and work performed. Memphis made out like like a bandit still. I'm not bad mouthing them as they are a business and need to make a profit to survive, sure, and things do happen. I'm glad to hear they made it right but they know the market and buy when prices are low to sit on inventory so the odds are they had under $10,000 in the wrecker from purchase and transportation. I was there at North Hood MATES Depot when they bought multiple wreckers for $4500 back in the GL days and was at Hood recently when they bought M934A2s for $3500. They're not going to try to "recondition" a wrecker that's too far gone, it doesn't make sense and they know it. They will start with something that fits the quality they're looking for to save the labor and bottom line. This truck wasn't gone through any where close to RSMS price or condition but they charged 2/3rd of what it would have by your figure.

Having had 4 M936 series wreckers, I did 99% of the hydraulic hoses on my first M936A2 (2007 RRAD truck) and it cost me about $5800 in material. Repacking/sealing the main cylinders was about $800/ea (had a shop do it). Paint and prep was about $600. My LWS is worth roughly $2500 so factor that in. If we go all out on new 14.00's, which are not on that truck, we could expect $4000 in tires, rims, valve stems, o-rings, and labor if we don't want to lift a finger.

If we assumed they did all the above we could could expect around $23,000 put into this truck and it was sold for $40,000. They doubled their investment for all we know is paint, LWS, transportation, and small fixes so we should expect less than that $23,000 by a good margin. Even if they had to go fetch the truck half way across the country to do some repairs in house they'd only be out another $2000-ish since they pay their driver by the day not mile (yes, I spoke to the driver) and aren't paying freight rates. They know how to get their margin on a truck so they surely didn't lose money on this transaction...only a little face.

Csm Davis

I respectfully disagree with you on the value of the vehicle and work performed. Memphis made out like like a bandit still. I'm not bad mouthing them as they are a business and need to make a profit to survive, sure, and things do happen. I'm glad to hear they made it right but they know the market and buy when prices are low to sit on inventory so the odds are they had under $10,000 in the wrecker from purchase and transportation. I was there at North Hood MATES Depot when they bought multiple wreckers for $4500 back in the GL days and was at Hood recently when they bought M934A2s for $3500. They're not going to try to "recondition" a wrecker that's too far gone, it doesn't make sense and they know it. They will start with something that fits the quality they're looking for to save the labor and bottom line. This truck wasn't gone through any where close to RSMS price or condition but they charged 2/3rd of what it would have by your figure.

Having had 4 M936 series wreckers, I did 99% of the hydraulic hoses on my first M936A2 (2007 RRAD truck) and it cost me about $5800 in material. Repacking/sealing the main cylinders was about $800/ea (had a shop do it). Paint and prep was about $600. My LWS is worth roughly $2500 so factor that in. If we go all out on new 14.00's, which are not on that truck, we could expect $4000 in tires, rims, valve stems, o-rings, and labor if we don't want to lift a finger.

If we assumed they did all the above we could could expect around $23,000 put into this truck and it was sold for $40,000. They doubled their investment for all we know is paint, LWS, transportation, and small fixes so we should expect less than that $23,000 by a good margin. Even if they had to go fetch the truck half way across the country to do some repairs in house they'd only be out another $2000-ish since they pay their driver by the day not mile (yes, I spoke to the driver) and aren't paying freight rates. They know how to get their margin on a truck so they surely didn't lose money on this transaction...only a little face.
So how many hours of labor? Figure that was your LWS, $2500? So 25 hours at $100/hr, seem quite low to me. But also you said 2/3 of the price I listed for complete RSMS reman which would be $100,000.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So how many hours of labor? Figure that was your LWS, $2500? So 25 hours at $100/hr, seem quite low to me. But also you said 2/3 of the price I listed for complete RSMS reman which would be $100,000.
I noticed that too when speaking of the M936A2 specifically but of a standard cargo it's much more in line and fits with the MO of: tires, paint, hoses, etc treatment that more trucks seems to have gotten.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks