• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a / 003a glow plug compression adapter?

Isaac-1

Does anyone know of a source for a glow plug compression test adapter for the MEP-002a / 003a generators? These glow plugs are threaded 7/16x20 unlike most glow plugs which have metric threads. I have seen mention that one of the members here was making these, but I don't know who or if they still are.

thanks Ike

Jimc

it was njtoolnut but i dont think he is here anymore. your prob better off getting a 7/16 bolt and drilling the center out and making something up yourself. if you do find a source let us know. that thread size seems to be very uncommon.

Jimc

isaac, im not sure what your compression tester is like but i went on the big auction site and typed in "7/16 20 adapter" and tons of fittings popped up. mostly going from 7/16-20 to a flare. maybe your hose on your tester could have a 3 or 4an fitting put on it.....might be easier than making something. just a thought.

Isaac-1

I thought of that too, but it looks like the threads on all of those are too short

See

mep002a-glowplug.jpg

p.s. my other thought is to possible remachine a 12mm glow plug adapter to 7/16x20

johnray13

I am not sure a drilled out bolt would work as I think the compression would leak out the threads. The 'seal' is made at the copper gasket, mid way up the plug.

I tried making an adapter out of a ORB 7/16x20 x 1/4 NPT hydraulic fitting and it sort of worked. By that I mean, the problem was the o ring was too distorted to reuse on the next cylinder so I had to put a new o ring on for each one.

The picture of your glow plug got me thinking that I might try drilling out a glow plug next time. Maybe cut of the element, drill a 1/8" hole through the body, cut the spade connector off and tap a 1/8" NPTF into the head.

When/if I have a plug go bad I will definitely try to convert the old plug into an adapter.

johnray13

Also, make sure your set up has a check valve. When I first made mine, I put the check valve at the gauge end. My compression was way low. I soon figured out to get a correct reading, your check valve needs to be just behind the GP adapter or the cubic inches of volume in the hose will give you faulty readings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks