• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A and MEP-003A recent Injection pump observations and warning

Ray70

Recently I've been seeing increasing numbers of failures with the Ambac M-50 Injection pump plunger guides.
This is attributed to the lower quality LSD fuel available over the last few years.
The reason for this post is to alert 002 / 003 owners to a slightly different failure mode on these plunger guides that I've seen recently.
For years I've seen broken plunger guides that split in half, as a safety mechanism to prevent damage to the pump.
I'm no metallurgist, but I'd assume they were made of a specific hardness steel that would resist deformation, but rather split cleanly, separating the plunger from the drive gear.
Recently I've seen probably 5 or 6 IP's where the plunger guide didn't split open, but rather the hardened plunger skipped 90* or 180* within the plunger guide, while deforming the corners of hole in the guide.
Possibly this is due to a change in the manufacturing process and / or the manufacturer itself of the GU8546 plunger guide?
The result is a generator that may start and run but will probably not produce full rated power. The valve cover will get excessively hot fairly quickly and the air louvers may open abnormally fast due to the excess heat.
The other problem is that if you continue to run the machine with the injection timing way off, the excess heat will overheat the injectors fairly quickly, causing the needles and nozzles to seize up.

So if your 002/003 sits for an extended period of time and upon starting you notice:
Slower starting / excessive cranking before it begins to try to start
Decreased power
Excessive heat
decreased RPM even at W.O.T

Check your pump timing to see if the plunger guide has skipped.
I would assume that rather than immediately removing and tearing into the IP, checking the IP timing using the flow method described in the TM should tell you right away if there is an issue deeper inside the pump.

rickf

Recently I've been seeing increasing numbers of failures with the Ambac M-50 Injection pump plunger guides.
This is attributed to the lower quality LSD fuel available over the last few years.
The reason for this post is to alert 002 / 003 owners to a slightly different failure mode on these plunger guides that I've seen recently.
For years I've seen broken plunger guides that split in half, as a safety mechanism to prevent damage to the pump.
I'm no metallurgist, but I'd assume they were made of a specific hardness steel that would resist deformation, but rather split cleanly, separating the plunger from the drive gear.
Recently I've seen probably 5 or 6 IP's where the plunger guide didn't split open, but rather the hardened plunger skipped 90* or 180* within the plunger guide, while deforming the corners of hole in the guide.
Possibly this is due to a change in the manufacturing process and / or the manufacturer itself of the GU8546 plunger guide?
The result is a generator that may start and run but will probably not produce full rated power. The valve cover will get excessively hot fairly quickly and the air louvers may open abnormally fast due to the excess heat.
The other problem is that if you continue to run the machine with the injection timing way off, the excess heat will overheat the injectors fairly quickly, causing the needles and nozzles to seize up.

So if your 002/003 sits for an extended period of time and upon starting you notice:
Slower starting / excessive cranking before it begins to try to start
Decreased power
Excessive heat
decreased RPM even at W.O.T

Check your pump timing to see if the plunger guide has skipped.
I would assume that rather than immediately removing and tearing into the IP, checking the IP timing using the flow method described in the TM should tell you right away if there is an issue deeper inside the pump.
Ray, I know on my 3rd gen Dodge with the infamous Bosch pump on the Cummins I make sure I use additive for the extra lubricant. I also use this in my gensets, and all of my diesels for that matter since they are all old and not designed for new low sulfur fuel. Personally I use the Power Service brand. https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore...nRRtRUXU1Cen4GtdEZ5PwCzBqWfVxRuBoC1aAQAvD_BwE. I have had two lift pump failures so far on my truck which is "supposed" to be instant death for the injection pump but after 200,000 plus it is still running strong. That is good enough proof for me to continue using it.

87cr250r

We used to hear this about the DB2 pumps on the 6.2 diesels used in Desert Storm. They were run on JP fuel instead of diesel. That was assumed to be the cause of the failures. Sandia National Labs got their hands on some failed pumps and sectioned them for analysis. Every single failure was caused by a manufacturing defect or other issues and not related to the fuel used. I'll have to find the paper again.

I think this is it:

Ray70

Proper fuel treatment is definitely the key to success these days.
I've used most of the major brands of diesel treatments in the past, most recently I started using the OptiLube XPD, after reading the report someone posted here 6 months or so ago. I tell everyone I come in contact with to treat their fuel appropriately and try to keep it as fresh as possible.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 00Xs are very heavy duty machines, but these pumps will be a problem down the line (especially since their are sole source for parts...). I am glad folks can keep them going, but for my money the 80X setup is better. Those will, I am sure, be a problem down the line too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks