• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a fuel pump question

Tpoole

Out of three pumps I have 1 that's pumping as it should, I broke one trying to adjust the 90 on it and the old primary won't build pressure.
Can these pumps be rebuilt? There really expensive! Can it run well off of 1 pump? Fuel is not far away.

Scoobyshep

1 pump is an aux fuel pump, it pulls from an external source to fill the tank. the other 2 pull from the tank and feed the injection pump, they are redundant (meaning you only need 1 to run) Be aware that not all pumps are alike, some can not be run in series because they will not flow through.

Ray70

They are pretty easy to rebuild. The one that is not building pressure probably has a stuck check ball in it.
Take the bottom cap off and remove the strainer, then you will see the wire clip that holds everything together.
There is a plastic check ball on both ends, if either is stuck the pump won't work properly.

Tpoole

They are pretty easy to rebuild. The one that is not building pressure probably has a stuck check ball in it.
Take the bottom cap off and remove the strainer, then you will see the wire clip that holds everything together.
There is a plastic check ball on both ends, if either is stuck the pump won't work properly.
Yes it is messed up, I remember seeing it looking strange, how do I fix it? I could not find anything on youtube? How do I get a rebuild kit?

Tpoole

Yes it is messed up, I remember seeing it looking strange, how do I fix it? I could not find anything on youtube? How do I get a rebuild kit?
Perfect advise! The washer was work making the ball sit sideways, it's fixed so now I have two fuel pumps, there connected to each other, and they both power on at the same time, is this okay/normal?

Scoobyshep

Perfect advise! The washer was work making the ball sit sideways, it's fixed so now I have two fuel pumps, there connected to each other, and they both power on at the same time, is this okay/normal?
Yes. 2 work together. The 3rd only in aux fuel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tpoole

So this am went to start it with the plug, plugged into the wax thermostat and it burned through the ground strap, almost caught the whole thing on fire. Any advice? Maybe related or maybe not?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scoobyshep

So this am went to start it with the plug, plugged into the wax thermostat and it burned through the ground strap, almost caught the whole thing on fire. Any advice? Maybe related or maybe not?

Something went to ground. without looking at it in person i would suspect the thermostat was grounding.

Guyfang

Staff member
Perhaps you need to open the books. I assume "Wax Thermostat is the S4, (Temp Switch) If that switch were "shorted to ground, there is no way the ground strap would burn through. The wires to the S4 would burn through first. If it were me, I would start looking at the large cables, that connect the battery's to the starter. But first, you need to figure out which thread you are going to post in. You have two threads open, and are posting to both of them, asking the same questions. Very confusing.

Ray70

Can you tell us where your + and - battery cables are attached?
In the picture I can't see but it almost looks like the black cable is going up towards the starter solenoid and I can't see where the red wire is headed at all.
The + should go up to the solenoid on the starter and the - should go to the ground stud sticking out of the starter motor's body.
If your ground isn't attached to the starter motor or engine block you will have a lot of current through that braided strap.
Also, what's happening under the blower wheel cover? Its not the greatest idea to run the machine for more than a couple minutes with that cover off.
Also make sure your main negative wire from the starter's negative post to the terminal block inside the control cube is attached correctly.

Tpoole

The positive cable attached to the starter rotated up enough to hit the cover above the starter, dang thing welded itself to the metal but adjusted it, replaced the ground and up and rolling again! Thank God I was panicking bit time! Last thing to do to finish this restore is to adjust the throttle/idle!
I really appreciate everyone's patience and help with me, completely new to generators!

Lovetofix

Last thing to do to finish this restore is to adjust the throttle/idle!

I hope by this you mean adjusting the governor settings to maintain 60hz with the proper droop adjustment as outlined in the TM. These generators should NEVER run at an idle. 1800 rpm out the gate all the way to shut down, or your voltage regulator might tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tpoole

Read the tm manuals and I could not find the steps to adjust all the linkage like the throttle linkage (mine seems way to long even when adjusted at both ends) and the governor adjustment. Could someone send me the link of instructions, guide me or a link to maybe a Video?

Tpoole

And on my ip return it literally just drips out fuel, should it be returning more?

Chainbreaker

I haven't ever measured or even seen the return flow to fuel tank, only heard it with cap off fuel tank & it sounded like a trickle with engine off.

Not knowing history of your genset I would suggest you put a can of Seafoam, or the like, in it. With Seafoam you can even put it in the last fuel filter undiluted and use at full strength. I run it for a few minutes and then shut it down overnight and allow solvent action to go to work on any gummy fuel deposits and then run it loaded the next day for about an hour just to keep my units from gumming up in any small internal workings such as injection pump, inline fuel check valve, etc. If that doesn't help with return fuel flow it won't hurt it and may help injector performance.

Tpoole

Thank you, I will try it. Everything is running great except for that piece of this puzzle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks