• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Starter trys to engage but wont turn over

w5ood

I just put in two new batteries. They are reading about 12.4v each. When I crank the gen. The starter tries to engage but it wont catch the fly wheel. It clicks like a low battery but every now and then it seems to catch and it spins the fly wheels just a small bit and make a loud clank noise. I pulled the starter and it engages the bendex just fine it looks like it should start. I see no teeth broken and I can move the fly wheel with a screw driver with little effort. It has sat outside for about a year but it was running fine when last used. Any ideas on what I should check? I am at a loss. I looked through the TMs but it doesnt seem to describe this issue. I have starter style I.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be stuck brushes In the starter or a bad starter solenoid. Does the starter spin if you connedpct it directly to battery power?

w5ood

Might be stuck brushes In the starter or a bad starter solenoid. Does the starter spin if you connedpct it directly to battery power?
When I removed the starter I left it wired up. If I start it it seems to work fine. The gear moves out on the bendix and spins very fast. Its one of the reasons im so confused. I thought it might not be getting enough juice so I cleaned all the ground terminals and even added the slave port and plugged in my m1009 but I get the same results. Its like the starter works but its not strong enough to turn the flywheel. Is that possible? Can a starter work but still be bad?

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Another thing to check... Is the crossover battery strap good between batteries and making good solid contact to battery terminals? Also, if you have a local Automotive/Electrical starter repair shop maybe they can load test the starter to determine if good. Might be the quickest way to determine if its the starter itself.

Last edited:

flydude92

Its like the starter works but its not strong enough to turn the flywheel. Is that possible? Can a starter work but still be bad?
Starters do go bad.
I've replaced a few over the years that acted like I had a bad/weak battery.
They will draw a lot of current as they begin to fail.

w5ood

I checked the starter plunger and it does move freely. So I rotated the flywheel while pushing the plunger in. It eventually seated into the flywheel and didnt come out. So I cranked it and it fired right up and the plunged then pulled back on the starter. So what is the causes of this? Do I need to lubricate the plunger? If so what do you recommend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks