• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Style 1 vs 2 Starter

Isaac-1

I was just wondering does the Style 1 Starter found on some MEP-002a and MEP-003a generators have any advantage over the Style 2 starters? I know the Style 2 draw less amps when starting.

Ike

glassk

ENGINEERING EVALUATION AND ANALYSIS FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF MILITARY STANDARD
GENERATORS
VOLUME
1 OF 2 VOLUMES
T RALPH J. ADOLPH
LOU G.
LAWRENCE
GARRY W. PERKINS
ERIC THORWALDSON
VSE Corporation
2550 Huntington Avenue
Alexandria, Virginia 22303-1499
p 29 May 1987
Final Report for Period 24 February 1987-29 May 1987
APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE; DISTRIBUTION UNLIMITED

2.3.4.1 5kW Set. As presented in Appendix B, very little information has
been documented on the 5 kW generator set resulting in a low confidence level
for reliability data. The data collected yields a Mean Time Between
Operational Mission Failure (MTBOMF) of 242 hours. The electrical system
(batteries, starters, converters, and gages)

No details however if the 2nd genration starter is after the date of this report they may have found something, just my opinion though

Triple Jim

I kinda like a simple direct-drive starter, but if the gear reduction version really draws less current, it's hard to argue with that advantage. I suppose the monthly startup of my 003A will probably not wear out a starter in my lifetime, so I would use whichever one was available at the right price.

Jimc

well i know the new gear reductions one are waaaay cheaper than the old direct originals. $130 or so compared to high 3's.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: I have had to replace a couple that could not be rebuilt and the cost of a new style 2 Is affordable.

Grega

The style 2 starter is more weather resistant than the style 1. The style 1 starters I disassembled have moisture and rust damage to some extent and need to be cleaned or repaired.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks