• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a transplant into NF-2

Chainbreaker

One of the hazards of surfing Craigslist ad's is you just might find something you don't need but you buy it anyway…

So I run across an Airforce NF-2 light tower (Light All) unit advertised on CL. After looking at the pictures in the ad I notice the enclosure appears well built (Mil Spec) and is fairly compact, it is on a steerable trailer with sturdy leaf spring suspension and has dual wide access doors on both sides plus a door on one end for panel access and even has a parking brake. These features spawn an idea…I wonder if my recently acquired MEP-002a would fit inside one of these? Living where it rains a LOT during the winter I like my equipment covered as well as mobile on the property for the added utility factor. So I asked the seller to take some interior measurements and what do you know... A MEP-002a “should fit” inside with a few inches to spare.

So I purchase the NF-2 unit and to my surprise I found out that everything works - the gasoline fed Onan CCK 2 cylinder starts up and purrs like a kitten, the elevator platform raises and lowers and the big reflector housed mercury lights all light up VERY brightly. I can imagine one of these units stationed on a remote airfield shining brightly into the cargo hold of an aircraft and whatever else they were used for. I really hated to cannibalize a working unit but had no need for a light unit per se and planned on selling the included Onan CCK 2kw gen set to cover some of the project costs.

I got to work and removed the outer enclosure skin as one piece by unbolting all 100 or so rusty skirt bolts (thank god for air ratchets!) that attached the enclosure’s skin to the trailer’s bottom deck area. With all the doors open I then used my tractor forks to gently lift it off the lower frame as one unit. I then pulled the genset, then ground off several no longer needed fittings in the bed area, removed wiring harnesses then removed the NF2 control panel. While I had everything off the trailer bed I decided to spray on a bed liner in the bed deck to better rust proof and sound deaden it a bit. I used the “U-POL Raptor” bed liner kit and man did it turn out nice! Very easy to spray on with great texture. Once the bed liner cured I used my tractor and hoisted the MEP-002a gently above the bed and lowered it onto (2) 3/4" thick carefully located horse stall-mat runners placed between the deck and skid frame to further dampen any vibrations. The hard part was figuring out exactly where to place the genset before drilling and attaching it to the bed. I decided to place it 8" from the end panel access door to give me adequate working room to reach inside to access the accessory outlets, circuit breaker and throttle control knob easily (the NF-2 panel door is a vertical rectangle whereas the MEP control panel is a horizontal layout). I also needed to leave enough room in the opposite end of trailer to install my batteries on the trailer's frame as I used the MEP-002a's battery skid space to retrofit a larger MEP-003a fuel tank (more fuel capacity is a good thing!). I needed to leave room as well for the NF-2’s built in fuel tank attached to one end of the enclosure so I could use it as an auxiliary fuel tank.

Anyway, it all fit quite nicely however by adding in the rubber mat runners it raised the MEP up and the control panel box on the right side only clears one side of the sloped structure by about a ½”, talk about cutting it close! I still need to paint the exterior…more Rapco CARC 283 Green is on the way! In the meantime, here are some pictures of the project thus far:

Before:

WP_20150523_001.jpg WP_20150523_002.jpg

After:

WP_20150823_001.jpg WP_20150830_005.jpgWP_20150830_007.jpgWP_20150830_006.jpgWP_20150830_009.jpgWP_20150830_004.jpg

Chainbreaker

That looks really cool !
Thanks, it was a bit of a challenge getting it placed right. The balance should be pretty equal once I have both batteries installed and the Aux tank filled with diesel.

My wife says it FUGLY right now. So I gotta get the outside sanded, primed and repainted before painting season is over!

rustystud

Thanks, it was a bit of a challenge getting it placed right. The balance should be pretty equal once I have both batteries installed and the Aux tank filled with diesel.

My wife says it FUGLY right now. So I gotta get the outside sanded, primed and repainted before painting season is over!
Well with all the rain we've been getting lately you better put it in a garage.

Chainbreaker

Haven't had all that much rain down our way, missed the brunt of the last storm and got just enough rain to settle the dust (Eugene area). However with my luck as soon as I start painting a big dark cloud would appear overhead and let loose. I might just have to make space in my shop's garage area as insurance. That would definitely cause the sun to shine!

While waiting on the paint to arrive I'm debating whether to do a single color paint job (283 OD green) or do a camo pattern on the enclosure. Probably just paint the OD green and see how it looks where it is going to be parked. Otherwise, adding the two additional camo colors on top would be easy to do later. Since I have a complete Desert Tan unit on trailer, and OD unit on another trailer it would round out things to have a Camo paint scheme unit just for the diversity.

Chainbreaker

Well after other priorities (had to finish painting the house first) I finally had some time left to finish this project. I removed all the outer hardware and cleaned it up then painted the outer enclosure. Its now a bit more civilized and has WAF (wife approval factor). I am using what was once a bulkhead penetration for the former CCK gas generator's exhaust pipe through enclosure as a place to screw in some conduit to run my power strip extension cord inside the enclosure to plug in my Battery Minders.

Later today (if it quits raining) or tomorrow I plan to drill a 1-3/4" enclosure penetration and install a bulkhead pass-through in order to route the SOOW 6/4 pwr feed cable out to power inlet connection box nearby. That way I can leave Hubbell twist lock plugged in and unit grounded. Then no need to uncoil cable and pull it out through doors each time I need to do a monthly test run or quickly configure during a pwr outage.

WP_20151111_004.jpg WP_20151111_005.jpgWP_20151111_001.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats funny, what a shame your so far away, I have the correct lift for the lights that your missing off the top of the housing! If you or anyone you know heads out this way, let me know.

Chainbreaker

Thats funny, what a shame your so far away, I have the correct lift for the lights that your missing off the top of the housing! If you or anyone you know heads out this way, let me know.
Thanks I appreciate the offer however mine did come with the elevator lift installed. I thought about keeping the lift installed on top but decided that I wouldn't really use it that much. These days with really bright LED work lights (I put em on both my Kubota tractor and Gator) you can get a lot of light where you want it very economically. When I took the lift off I was glad I did. That lift assembly, even without the 2 lights installed, must have weighed around 300 lbs. The trailer unit original had "1025 RAW" stenciled above the wheel wells. Not sure but I think that might have referred to the unladen trailer weight or its capacity. I didn't want to overload the trailer's suspension as the MEP-002a weighs in over 1,000 with batteries plus the additional weight of ~30 gallons of fuel onboard. The suspension now fully loaded looks slightly compressed and the tops of the tires are still visible in the wheel well cutouts and it sits level fore and aft. So it seems happy!

I hooked it up to my JD Gator to tow it to my hook-up location slightly up hill on a gravel path and the Gator was spinning a rear tire. Locked rear differential and both rear tires were spinning and no movement. Uh oh, time to get serious...put it in 4 wd and low gear and that got it moving but it sure let me know it was back there! Got it in place next to inlet box location and hooked it up and did a test run and it did great.

Chainbreaker

You aren't kidding! Its pretty purpose built too, not much else you can use it for.
Yeah tell me about it. I darn near threw my back out getting it off tractor forks and moved into my shop where is still sits.

There has got to be something these lifts could be used for...:idea: Perhaps with a little welding of some brackets it could be used as a motorcycle lift or some sort of adjustable stand; maybe use a motor driven pulley on the worm gear drive instead of the manual crank. Hmmm....how about the largest monster truck adjustable height "light bar" every made!

If all else fails I might use it for a target stand, it looks darn near bullet-proof anyway. :D

Chainbreaker

Did the enclosure quiet the generator very much??
Since this generator sits down at my barn/shop area and is 700' from my house it really wasn't a priority to quiet it down much. My main purpose of housing in this type of enclosure was for protection from the elements when not in use and the added portability factor. I run it with all doors wide open (could probably get by with just exhaust side doors open in winter) so I wouldn't say its much quieter. The exhaust pipe almost sticks out (about 2" away) from the door frame when opened so it still emits its diesel bellow quite loudly and those doors expose all the other sounds to surrounding areas. What I didn't want to do was to put in in an enclosure that would end up amplifying sound (drum effect). The dense 3/4" rubber matt runners that the skid is bolted down on top of and the bed liner do seem to attenuate any rattles. So I'm happy with the outcome.

Had I wanted to attempt to further suppress sound I could have applied some type of sound deadening material to the upper sheet metal interior on top, sides & ends while I had it off. However Keith is right; a MEP-002a needs air and lots of it to cool properly. I have seen other NF-2 enclosures that appear to have had rectangles cut out of the door sections and metal louvers affixed to doors to increase air flow (some later model NF-2's had diesel engines installed). The lower skirt where the perimeter attaches to bottom frame uses 3 thick washers to raise the skirt up about 1/2" off the bottom frame. That allows additional cooler air to enter down low but still not enough for a MEP-002a without additional louvers installed in my opinion. The original Onan CCK that was installed used a ducted plenum bolted up against one of the small side louvers to bring in fresh air to the engine fan impeller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks