• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002AA2 5kw gen-set questions??

I recently purchased a 5KW Industrial Acquistics Model MEP-002AAS 5KW 60HZ diesel engine gen set off GL to have as backup power. I'm not familiar with these at all does anyone know what make/model diesel engine is in these for power? Do these have their own batteries for starting? Do they have a slave cable hookup?

Thanks for your help,
Andy

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM's are in the resource section. Look for the ones on the base model MEP-002. You have the acoustic supression model by the model number you posted. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the motor is probably an Onan, but those more familiar with the generators will soon speak up and offer corrections as necessary.

EO2NMCB

Yes they do have there own batterys 2 12v in series. Yes to the slave cable hook up but many times it is MIA. Gona p/u my mep002aas tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy,
Yes they do take batteries, but your's may not have them with the set, a lot don't have them any longer as they got swiped before or even after GL got their hands on them. Any two 12 volt automotive batteries that will fit in the spot where the batteries go will work...I suggest measuring the battery box and go to wally world and get two batteries with as many cold cranking amps (CCA) as you can in that size. The batteries are located behind the access panel under the exhaust pipes. The slave receptacle will be located under the main control panel on your machine, just lift the rubber flap on the bottom of the set and it should be there. I haven't seen a whole lot of sets lately with those missing.

As for the engine, it is an air cooled Onan two cylinder diesel, they used them on some civilian generators and the civilian model number should be DJE, you may even find a few references to the DJB, but the difference will be the bore size, the DJE should have a 3.5" bore whereas the DJB will have a 3.25" bore.

Make sure you check the oil and filters before you try to start it up.

I know the fuel filters should be a WIX 33113 filter, and they come with the proper gasket to seal the bowl. The oil filter may be the WIX 51004, that is the filter used on the MEP-003a but it should be the same for the MEP-002a. With that oil filter you will need to but an o-ring gasket for the bowl, that gasket is WIX 15108.

The manuals are in the resources section and are TM 5-6115-584-12 and -34. The parts TM is TM 9-6115-548-24P.

Good luck with it and make sure you post up a few pictures, we love pictures.

dittle

Andy,

Another thing about that generator is that there is a preheater for cold weather assist (as well as manually putting in some ether). When you first start it up the battery gauge may not show it as charging, let it go a while and then it will start. The charging system is more of a trickle charger and sometimes takes a little bit to register on the gauge (per my AMSA buddies who work on them for the USAR). The thing weighs over 1000lbs so be prepared for that as well.

Did you get yours off the last IL sale? If so I was bidding on those as well but got away from the computer at the end of the sale and was outbid on a 002A in the last 20 minutes.......... Also, it will be a little loud, supposed to wear hearing protection within 10 feet of the thing (for the 002A anyway)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dittle,

I could be wrong, but I was always told to NEVER use ether on a diesel that has glow plugs. These sets have glow plugs as well as a manifold intake heater. I would think that can make a very dangerous situation for this engine, and possibly the operator????

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
One more thing, open the air filter and see if it has one. Most do not. Go to Napa and get #2222 filter. Speddmon you are correct about the ether bomb!!

dittle

dittle,

I could be wrong, but I was always told to NEVER use ether on a diesel that has glow plugs. These sets have glow plugs as well as a manifold intake heater. I would think that can make a very dangerous situation for this engine, and possibly the operator????
I can't argue with that logic as I would prefer not to use both either. But I have seen/driven/started lots of older farm tractors that do have both. When either is used on an engine with glow plugs I don't let the plugs have a chance to cycle...its crank and then squirt.

Thanks again!!!!

Thanks guys! I've printed your responses off so I have all of the filter #'s. Call me a redneck but I'm kind of hoping the gen set is obnoxious loud. I have one 3KW mil gen set with the Yanmar diesel and really love it. My dad and I must have watched that Yanmar run for 5 minutes impressed by the smoothness and easy starting. I could almost set up a lawn chair by the yanmar at idle and listen to it for hours. I'm hoping this Onan motor is as smooth.

Dan- I wish you did buy one as we could split the cost of getting them home!

If all goes well I'm shooting for Thursday pickup. I'll post some pictures when I get it. Due to selling my Dodge 3500 due to getting a company car I'll have to rent a 1/2 ton pickup. Should be interesting......

Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks