• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003 Operation in progress

AIE1

Morning all, Just want to let SS folks know about my first use of the GL purchased Mep-003. I purchased it last summer, other than charging up to 30 volts dc and a new voltage regulator (DC) its ran just fine. This wet snow hit my area right hard, power line down, plus snapped off power pole. We are still out of service except I'm posting on power from the MEP-003. Thanks to the guy that turned me on to Benfield Elec. switch box works like a charm, however I do not like their connector plug, it is trouble some to plug up to the box, due to I don't leave my power cord out in the weather. It ran it for 22 hours non-stop, it has powered everything in the house without missing a beat. I shut her down about an hour ago and serviced it, low on engine oil, small oil leak around injector pump, not bad for a surplus generator. To all that posted Mep threads, just plain wonderful information, it has saved us, the wife's work requires computer use and we have not been down. In closing, I must say I had a really bad exprience with Gulf Coast Trucks, it took months to get some of my parts that I paid for, but never did get everything I ordered. Enjoy the pix's!!Mep1 (1).jpgMep1 (3).jpg

leedawg

Nice glad to see your getting some ROI on that Genny. What is the balck cord going up to the electric meter for? IS that part of the transfer switch or what? Or is that how the power feeds back into the main service box? Just curious thanks and your transfer switch looks to be an electronic one how much was that thing what model looks pretty cool.

Lee

AIE1

The black cord from box to back of meter is the main connection. This unit is made by PSP proudcts, Inc.. The one I purchased is the 50 AMP TC215, installed about $1600.00 The TC215 is recommended for 10KW to 12KW gen sets. This type of unit puts alot on the home owner in that without using your head you could over load the gen by using all appliences at one time. You have to be selective using items in the house. So far very happy with this setup. The PSP web site is www.psproducts.com, search transfer switches. Cheers!

storeman

Sorry to learn that you had a bad experience with Gulf Coast. They used to be pretty good and pretty reasonable. Glad you have had a good experience with operating your MEP.
Jerry

AIE1

AAR, Dominion power restored, Mep-003 ran for 33 hours without a hitch! As far as I'm concerned this investment has paid. The only thing I can say on the down side is, there is no way of knowing the power is restored unless you check the light on the switch box. If you are on gen power a small lamp indicates red, when power is restored its green so you have to check the light every so often to see if service is restored. cheers!

Triple Jim

Here, a robot phones us from Progress Energy when the power comes back on to verify it. I know what you mean though... I'm planning to make a non-contact voltage monitor for the incoming mains that sets off an alarm when the power comes back on.

johnray13

When I installed my transfer switch, I connected a 90 db alarm with a on/off switch to the Dominion Power lugs. Normally the switch is off. But when I transfer to generator, I'll switch the alarm on. So when utility power is restored, I'll hear the piezo alarm to know I can transfer back to utility power. Beats looking out the window every so often to see if the neighbors lights have come on yet.

AIE1

Mep5.jpgMep4.jpgMep6.jpg

Attached are pix's of the connectors, I prefer the Arkite type over the connector that came with the switch box. I would have direct wired at Gen then used Arkite type at the switch box if I was allowed. Benfield cited warrenty issues if I had not used their connector, as you can see the rec is on the under side of the switch box. Being I already had the Arkite type, I just made a removeable at both ends, that way the UV's don't get to my cable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks