• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 003a fuel pump connectors

Brother Hec

I have a MEP-003a with pencil style emi filters on electrical feed to OEM fuel PUMPS 24volt. My problem is that fuel pumps stopped working and I would like to check for juice at pump. However, these pumps have connectors I can’t remove. I am not familiar with connectors. Can you tell me how to remove them at the pencil emi filter upstream from pump?? I would like to avoid cutting line to test pumps. I want to test emi filters rather replacing a pump.
thank you for any help.

Attachments

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see the connections.

I'm sure someone will give you a much better answer than this, but you may consider it a handy addition to your toolbox if you bought a set of self-piercing multimeter probes. The good ones have a needle point in a hook arrangement that lets you twist-screw them where the needle point pierces and makes contact with the wire. No need to cut the wire.

However... using a piercing probe on a multi-conductor cable is tricky and one member commented later in this thread that water or moisture can get in.

Last edited:

Brother Hec

I can't see the connections.

I'm sure someone will give you a much better answer than this, but you may consider it a handy addition to your toolbox if you bought a set of self-piercing multimeter probes. The good ones have a needle point in a hook arrangement that lets you twist-screw them where the needle point pierces and makes contact with the wire. No need to cut the wire.
Thank you for your kind suggestion. I will look for one. Do you know anyone who can tell me how to remove these strange connectors ?

Brother Hec

Thank you. I saw rubber connectors. Do they just pull apart? I’m afraid of causing more harm than good.
Sorry. Forgot picture of connectors on emi filters. Funny thing is that this genset has two primary pumps. Both do not work on “Prime/Run Position” on switch. Makes me think that there is an electric problem since both pumps are not running. What do you think?DCD5DDD0-28DD-4426-94EA-43567FDB6C15.jpeg I’m

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry. Forgot picture of connectors on emi filters. Funny thing is that this genset has two primary pumps. Both do not work on “Prime/Run Position” on switch. Makes me think that there is an electric problem since both pumps are not running. What do you think?View attachment 884988 I’m
This isn't a generator set with which I'm familiar, but I did read about these pumps in the TM. There's a section that describes how they work. I would suggest that you download the technical manuals (TM) and read about them so you can make the best decision about how to proceed.

Click this link:

rickf

The rubber connectors do pull apart but you will probably have to twist them a bit to get them going. My guess is that one of the pumps is probably gummed up and that is why it is not running. These pumps are pretty robust and seldom go bad. It does happen but more often they stop working due to varnish and gunk in the pump. You need to pull the bottom cap off the pump to check the internal filter and then you can take it apart from there but as has been said it is best to read all the manuals before you go to far. I am the last guy to say RTFM but with this military equipment if you are not familiar with it from actually running it in service then you have to read the manuals. There are all kinds of little tricks that you would not think of like holding the start switch for a period of time after the engine starts to make sure the generator gets a field current. Both pumps should run but if one has a clogged line or is gummed up then a power test will show normal.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rubber boot (packard) connectors pull apart, just twist them a bit softly to loosen them up. Once separated, use a handheld multimeter to test for voltage on the DC side (aux + prime setting you should see DC at two of them, prime at only one). Those inline filters fail often enough that if you have juice before them, but no pump activity... its almost certainly them. Not much to the interior of the actual pump.

Brother Hec

This isn't a generator set with which I'm familiar, but I did read about these pumps in the TM. There's a section that describes how they work. I would suggest that you download the technical manuals (TM) and read about them so you can make the best decision about how to proceed.

Click this link:
Thanks for TM link. I tried to download but only asked me if I wanted to download. Answered yes but nothing happened. Is link only for well established members? I’m new so maybe it won’t work for me.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to download them. Try again. Sometimes there can be temporary glitches with Internet apps. You may want to close everything out in your browser and then the browser itself to reset security and permissions.

If you still have problems one of the moderators will look into it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks