• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-016D Fuel tank lesson learned

1800 Diesel

Finally got around to doing a check-out on one of the MEP-016Ds I got in a few months back. It had good oil in it and fuel in the day tank so I fired it up and it ran great & produced voltage. Didn't run it too long though as I noticed fuel seeping out onto the shop floor. Lifted the unit up with the tractor & saw at least one pinhole (more like a pencil lead thickness) pouring out and then some seepage coming out around the mounting straps. So, before I fill the 2nd unit, I'll be doing a better inspection of the underside of the fuel tank....

Will do a fiberglass repair on the leaking tank in a day or so & get it back running so I can load her up...

1800 Diesel

all you need is bolt, two metal flat washers, a couple pieces of rubber & a locking nut.
Agree with that--done the same thing on some of my old Briggs & Stratton stuff, but if there's several holes it usually means the fuel tank is pitted over a large area & more leaks will follow. That's why I'll do some "destructive inspection" by sanding the tank's bottom surface & look for more leaks....hopefully I'll be able to use the bolt method when I find only the one leak or a couple leaks.... :)

Also, if I find multiple leaks, then I'll just glass the entire bottom area--this will block future leaks too.

Thanks,

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks