• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-1040 received, recommended first steps

georgec

New to the forum. I just got my MEP-1040. I did some searching on the forum and found the manuals and common replacement parts. But I am interested in what everyone has done or recommends for first steps to get her back from long term storage to active use? I want to do an oil and filter change for sure, new batteries, and general cleanup, but should I replace the air filter, water separator, do a coolant change, etc.? Also, I plan to get a module for hookup to an automatic transfer switch. Who has input on this type of hookup that can share?
Thanks!

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries will most likely not come back. I used Oreily AGM group 51r batteries in my personal machine, other wise auto zone sells 51r flooded cells for $69 in my area. Definitely make sure oil is full, more than likely you will have to top off the coolant and burp the system. Read the TM manual several times before you get too far. i generally do not change the filters on them since they have usually 5 or less hours on them. no reason too.

jmenende

First, download the manual and have it handy. Familiarize yourself with the unit. Id change all fluid and filters just to reset the clock and have peace of mind. Excersize all switches with the unit off. Like farming said, those batteries are probably bad. Look up the procedure to trick these agm batteries into charging on youtube but chances are its too late. Keep them for cores to trade when you buy new group 51. I just bought a new pair of lead acid for 99$ each at sams. Id say skip the optimas.........expensive and unrealiable since quality has gone done imho. Luck and welcome to the club.

georgec

I am in luck, my genset came with the technical manual in a plastic sleeve and a laminated wiring diagram. Saves me from having to print it. It also had some computer cables and a few other misc fittings and stuff. There is a CD of the inpower AMMPS software as well, but it is scratched. I will see if I can get it to load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks