• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-16d

papercu

Anybody have infor on the engine for these?
Seem to be a 3kw MEP-016A that was upgraded to a diesel engine?
Does anyone have a copy of MWO 96-13013-MEP-01
TIA Wayne

derf

That is for a MEP-016B to E, Onan Diesel engine to Yanmar Diesel engine conversion.

The As had gas engines.
My E has a Yanmar L100 (10HP).
The Ds supposedly had Yanmar L70s (7HP)

They are all 3600 RPM but the Yanmars still sip fuel at those levels.

The procedure to change should be similar, but the A will have different fuel tank and fuel system.

If your set has already been converted, then just use both the A (for gen head) and E (for engine) manuals and you should be able to get by. I haven't yet found an E manual but I have pdfs of the commercial Yanmar parts and service manuals that cover the engine.

First pic of an A. If your control box and gen head are like the pic, you have an A.

Second pic of a B or E.

Third and fourth pics are side views of MEP-016D, repowered A with Yanmar (L70)

As an INTERIM solution, the US Army Reserves funded a program to evaluate the feasibility of re-engining the old 3kW gasoline sets with a diesel engine. The DoD Project Manager-Mobile Electric Power recently completed the evaluation of a retrofit kit developed by VSE Corporation to determine its suitability and reliability. PM-MEP has subsequently approved this retrofit kit for use by the military forces. Because the sets remain unenclosed, they are still noisy and provide no EMP or IR suppression. Thus, they do not meet the latest CASCOM user requirements for generator sets. However, they will provide excellent, reliable service during an INTERIM period until the Reserves receive the newly developed 2kW Military Tactical and 3kW Tactical Quiet Generator Sets.The retrofit is amazingly simple, involves few pieces and can be done either by contractor or logistics personnel.
The ASK encolsures fit the B/Ds. I have one E that was in an ASK enclosure, but it was incomplete and I haven't seen another.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a great genset to have. I love my 016 but the 4A032 is very thirsty and loud.

derf

I like mine. Martin Diesel made the adapter but I can't get any info from them on the adapter.

jbk

i have a 016a also, i fitted a new crate 4a032 engine to replace the old point egnition engine. smooth little 4 cyl. takes a good load to. 79 db at 20 ft. .8 gph full load.

jas67

That is for a MEP-016B to E, Onan Diesel engine to Yanmar Diesel engine conversion.

The As had gas engines.
My E has a Yanmar L100 (10HP).
The Ds supposedly had Yanmar L70s (7HP)

The ASK encolsures fit the B/Ds. I have one E that was in an ASK enclosure, but it was incomplete and I haven't seen another.
Correction --- the ASK enclosures fit the B/E (not D).

Derf --- do you know if the ASK is different for the E than the B? I have a B with ASK, and E w/o. I'd prefer to keep/use the E with the ASK if possible, as the Yanmar engine is more common, and easier to get parts for if necessary.

derf

My E had an ASK. It was missing the back end panels. I'm pretty sure the ASK can fit any B or E. You can look at the frames and see the differences in the As and Bs. If you were closer I'd swap frames with you, as mine already has the threaded inserts to hold the ASK panels on.
Theoretically, though, they could repower an A with a Yanmar, too. I dunno if they would call that an E.

Isaac-1

The conversion for MEP-016B to MEP-701a is a bit more (but only a bit) extensive than just slapping on the ASK panels. I think it is covered in one of the TM's. It seems to be complicated enough to be considered a depot service, hence perhaps the model change, unlike the MEP-002 / MEP-003 ASK. To do it by the book involves adding a lot of threaded inserts into the frame for the ASK panels (I would guess 30+), re-route the exhaust to exit the case on the opposite side from the muffler, and making changes to the electrical system for the electric case fans. If it were me I would strongly consider finding a dead 701a and transplanting the engine/generator.

Ike

p.s. note even with the ASK these things are still loud, at least the Onan engined MEP-701a, I checked mine with a sound level meter last year and it measures identical to my Sears push mower, just with a bit deeper tone.

Last edited:

jas67

Ike,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep the MEP-016E as a backup, and use the 701A as the primary. If anything happens to the 701A, then I'll consider moving the engine from the 016E to it.

I haven't run my 701A yet, as I haven't had time to order filters for it. Would you say most of the noise is exhaust, or is there still some mechanical noise with the ASK installed? If just exhaust, maybe a secondary muffler might do the trick.

J.

Isaac-1

Some is certainly exhaust, but to me it sounds mostly mechanical, I have mine on concrete pavers and can feel the vibration through my shoes 20+ feet away. As to filters, there was an ebay seller with air and fuel filters listed a while back, the oil filter you should be able to get at NAPA, etc.

Ike

AllSeeingEye1157

Gents,

I have a Yanmar 701A and I have tried to find a write up outlining tuneup methods. I mostly need the method for adjusting the solenoid/governor to maintain Hz and the old Onan TM methods don't apply to the yanamr refit. has anyone found a good description for the adjustment and/or a manual for the maintanance of the refit unit?

shawn martin

hello any idea how much fuel a 3KW diesel model D generator uses? GPH under load? looking to buy one for home use so also how many hours could I expect on the hobbs till overhaul ? also what RPM does it run at ?and how about parts are they able to be had for this generator thanks
also does the 5 kw generator with a onan engine use a lot more fuel? and what RPM does it run at ? and dependability /parts thanks new at this

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Expect somewhere around .5 gph at 3KW load, it runs at 3600 rpms, so consumes about the same amount of fuel per hour (or maybe just a bit less) than a 5KW MEP-002a which runs at 1800. You can probably safely draw 3.5KW or so from the Yanmar L70 powered MEP-016D which will be engine limited, the MEP-016E uses the same generator end and is powered by the Yanmar L100, so is likely good for 4 -4.5 KW in the real world.

Ike

p.s. the 3 KW MEP-016D and the 5KW MEP-002a are both good generators, each has advantages and disadvantages. ( I have both, as well as a 3KW MEP701a/ MEP-016B in ASK housing) The MEP-016D is smaller, lighter at about 285 pounds, and probably consumes less fuel at light loads, and has a recoil pull starter as well as an electric starter, but no on board battery or charging circuit. It is designed to be jump started from a vehicle, etc. (note they will generally start on 12V even though they have 24V starters, it just may be slow spinning). While 285 pounds may not sound light, it is light enough that my college age son and I can slide it up and down the ramp on my 5x7 utility trailer, and I have a bad back. By comparison the MEP-002a is a 2 cylinder 1800 rpm beast, with much larger everything and weighs in at just under 900 pounds. (to fill in the blanks here the Yanmar L100 re-powered MEP-016E is around 380 pounds (these do have onboard batteries and charging system) and my MEP-701a with the original 1 cylinder Onan is about 535 dry). As to parts you are comparing a current production Yanmar engine connected to a rock solid generator end (the weak spot is the somewhat failure prone AVR can be replaced by a common $75 SX-460 clone on these), vs a somewhat more complicated MEP-002a powered by an engine that Onan stopped building 20 years ago. Parts are still out there for the MEP-002a, but you can't just pick up the phone and order them, some parts do take some hunting, but there are a lot of them out there, at least used.

Last edited:

shawn martin

Thanks so much for the info. It sounds to me that I should probably go for buying a 5 kw generator as the fuel consumption is about the same and since it runs at 1800 RPM it may last longer also keeping in mind that is for home use so the weight of the unit is not really a factor. Would you agree and if so any tips on which 5kw to buy or not to buy ?
thanks again Shawn

Isaac-1

I don't really feel that there is a right or wrong choice between the 3 KW MEP-016D and the 5KW MEP-002a for emergency home backup assuming typical 3-4 day annual run times, etc. There are just advantages and disadvantages each way, this is of course assuming that 3KW is enough for your vital loads, and keeping in mind that the MEP-002a is going to have about double the real world potential power output. A lot comes down to how you plan to use and install it. Being fairly light the MEP-016D can be kept in a shed or garage and moved out when needed, the MEP-002a will either need a permanent outdoor home or modification to be portable (assuming you don't get a trailer mounted version of either). On a total cost of ownership point of view, the MEP-016D likely wins, with smaller oil sump, cheaper / smaller filters, and that all important ability to pull start and be jump started without need of having its own dedicated batteries. Sure bigger tends to be better with filters and oil, but there are those that say the Yanmar's don't need as much being a more modern engine, both in design and manufacture (I am not going to take a position on that one, other than they both seem to hold up in the field for thousands of hours). Note the military rebuild schedule on the MEP-002a is about twice as long as the MEP-016D (5,000 vs 2,500 hours I think, but your not likely to run into either one with home use any time soon).

Ike

p.s. on choice of military surplus 5KW generators, the practical choices are the good old MEP-002a and the new MEP-802a, of the two for now I would suggest the older MEP-002a, they tend to sell for less, but more importantly there are lots out there, and lots of members here to lean on for support, if you get a MEP-802a, you will have a much smaller pool of peers to lean on and parts can be hard to find even though they are newer as there are not that many in civilian hands yet.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks