• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-531 runs perfect but doesn't make power

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, I have a 531 that I have running great but won't let me turn on the power switch, it pops right back down and won't stay up, the GFCI buttons on the power outlet won't stay untripped as well...so it makes me think that I have some sort of short somewhere or the windings need a power jump. The gauges show no Hertz, load or volts when running. The hour meter works. I've read the manual on this genset and found adding 9 volts to the bar pins 8 and 9 will power up the windings and it should make power, if not possibly the regulator is smoked....tough part is I can't find info on which pin is which on the bar where all the wires are bolted to inside...anyone have thoughts or ideas on where to find this? This genset was not running when I got it and needed lines, fuel filter and oil pressure switch installed so I don't know how long this has sat but know the windings can lose charge if they sit a long time. It has 71 hours on the clock. I could be missing something simple like the fuse in the gauge cluster which I did replace, checked for cut or bad wiring and don't see anything weird, corrosion. I don't have the ground stake in the ground yet but not sure that would change much other than keeping me from turning into a fried steak in the back yard...which won't happen until it makes power...I hope. The picture is what the gauges look like when it's running.
Thanks in advance.
Rich

Attachments

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the meter fuse F1? The volt and Hertz meter are before the breaker. If the fuse is good and your meters don't read, then you either have a wiring , VR, or generator problem. I attached the schematic from the manual to help you along. The hour meter is powered from the engine, and not related to the main generator.

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the meter fuse F1? The volt and Hertz meter are before the breaker. If the fuse is good and your meters don't read, then you either have a wiring , VR, or generator problem. I attached the schematic from the manual to help you along. The hour meter is powered from the engine, and not related to the main generator.
I did get some checks done today, I found the breaker will stay shut with the engine not running which gave me more testing I could do...I found the CR2 Diode letting ohms through in both directions...which is not supposed to be! I'd bet that's why it won't stay closed with the engine running...not sure where to get one or it's size to get a generic one if need be...I did check the fuse and it works fine...so I'll try and hunt up that diode pack and see if that's the only problem....on a side note I added a small muffler to this thing so it is somewhat manageable on noise....in some ways I wish I would've got a bigger muffler!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks