• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 701A batteries

EdMontana

Finally got my MEP 701 A today, 380 hrs, complete dry and no batteries, look real good, engine oil stick look like new and clean, the only thing wrong was that.... look like who drained it decided that breaking the drain valve was easier to just open it......not biggie, got it fixed in 5 minutes.

Fill all up, primed and used a Deuce to jump start it.....started after a few puff and puff with no problems and I turned it off after as I was concerned that I did not have any batteries installed on it.

Now, my question is.....the battery space is for a very small battery, but requires the 24 V.....what model of battery should I look for? Or should I just mount 2 12 V Wall Mart batteries outside and wire it in?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there was a post not too long ago about the 701 battery and what size it was. I just can't remember what it was right off hand, but a search would probably reveal what you need. You could always get two batteries, some lawn and garden batteries would start it, and maybe even fit in the battery box OK. I don't know if they would have the a$$ to start it in the winter with the thick oil or not though.

EdMontana

I was also thinking in the lawn mower batteries kind and if need turn it on in the winter I just jump from a Deuce, probably is the cheaper way to go around $40.

The TM for this model is not the best ones, I measured the voltage from the front outlets and they are for the 110 Volt single phase, I also saw some unfamiliar connectors (second photo) what is used to connect them? any special attachment?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The terminals in the second photo are called "Split Bolt" connectors. They are used to connect your main power leads from the generator output. The 110 volt receptacle is not big enough to handle the generators full output...plus that set is capable of three phase, those outlets are not.

I haven't looked at the manual for that set, but just going by the way the MEP-003a and MEP-002a are set up. You would connect the L0 lug for the neutral and use the L1 and L3 lugs for the two "Hot" legs of single phase 240 volts. Of course you would have to have the reconnection switch set in the proper position as well.

Isaac-1

See the recent message thread (I think still on the top page) about batteries for the MEP-016B the 701A is a MEP-016B in an ASK housing. The local battery shop here has the 24V batteries available and will ship.

Ike

William F

MEP-701a Batteries - OEM Equipment

Pulled my batts out of my 701a's last night. I had purchased a conditioner/desulphator to bring the batteries back - and it worked (for one so far)! It took over a week to do it, but one of the batteries can now start the genset un-aided. One must check the batteries every day, and add distilled water to the bottom ledge (if the cell is being cooked off). The other battery is going to take some time, so in the mean time, I have removed the batts, and will replace one with these 2 12v in series (Napa 12n14-3A). This thread mentions there is a store nearby that sells the 4HN, but our Napa and our local "Batteries Plus" store could not locate them. I have attached pix below.

1) Battery Charging Setup (BatteryMinder 24021)
2) OEM (Sterling Battery Company) Label off of the battery (still in business in Idaho)
3) Replacement battery set - fits nicely into the tray
4) My wayward fan - Globe Motors, still in business - they are locating a replacement for me now. Spins slowly, in either direction while powered, but not going to do the job.

I charged my battery for 6 days @ 1 amp setting, and added water to keep the plates submerged. I don't expect to have 100% out of these, but they certainly do work.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice find on the Napa batteries that fit. Thanks for posting the part numbers.

I just bought 4 Deka 4HN batteries from the Batteries Plus store in Tualatin, Oregon. They do have them available, all you have to do is tell them it is a Deka battery and they can have them within a week.

If you want a bolt-in solution then that's the way to go.

Edit: In response to a request from William, here are some photos of one of my recent Deka 4HN battery installs in a MEP-701a generator, which for search purposes uses the same battery as the MEP-016b.

Well OK. Looks like I can't add photos to this post so will put them in the next post!

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good photo of the battery showing part number
I use De-Ox on all battery connections. It is made for electrical panels but I have been using it on batteries for 15 years with good results.

Edit: William mentioned that his local Batteries Plus store couldn't find the 4HN battery. Call the Tualatin store (503) 783-3252.

Attachments

Last edited:

William F

Very Nice! ...And isn't it amazing that they (the Dekas) look identical to the Sterling Batts I have from the early 90's? I wonder if they bought the injection molds, plate molds and ultrasonic welding gear from Sterling. I did locate the 4HN through Batteries Plus - 131$ - they knew enough to tell me that they would "likely have to be made before they were shipped", as they weren't in stock at Deka. (2 Week lead time) The De-Ox looks like a good investment - I love the prose under the name on the label. It looks like you are also missing the "witch's hat" on the down-pipe on your intake - I know it is probably unnecessary to replace it, but seems like it would be a good thing to do. Where do you get you Ilsco De-Ox? I will have to Google it...
Cheers, Bottoms Up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks