• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-802a aux fuel pump trips breaker?

ribs1

OK,
Whenever I set the generator to aux fuel it runs for about 2 seconds then trips the breaker. House tank works fine.
My theory is that the pump is gummed up maybe from the leftover sesame seed oil in my drum?
Any other ideas?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will find either the pump or the double float aux fuel sensor in the tank has shorted (I have had both do this). Take the cover off the fuel tank, and deenergize both. Plug one in at a time, and flip S1 to PRIME + AUX and see which is the culprit.

justinn

FWIW, I have found that it is possible to revive many of these pumps with a healthy dose of WD-40 and shorting it directly to 24+ volts over and over; if it's just a gum issue. For the inexpensive price of these pumps, it's not really even worth it though(especially if it's the square Facet style). On much larger pumps where the cost can be hundreds of greenbacks, I get much more motivated to fix them.

Ray70

OK,
Whenever I set the generator to aux fuel it runs for about 2 seconds then trips the breaker. House tank works fine.
My theory is that the pump is gummed up maybe from the leftover sesame seed oil in my drum?
Any other ideas?
I have a feeling it's not a matter of a gummed up pump. These pumps are simple magnetic plungers, not rotary motors, so a stuck pump doesn't pull high current like and electric motor's LRC. You probably have a shorted pump or an issue with the float module.
Start by unplugging the pump, then float, ten float module until it stops tripping the breaker.

ribs1

I think you will find either the pump or the double float aux fuel sensor in the tank has shorted (I have had both do this). Take the cover off the fuel tank, and deenergize both. Plug one in at a time, and flip S1 to PRIME + AUX and see which is the culprit.
Hello,
I just did this. With s1 in prime + Aux it works fine with aux pump unplugged and aux pump plugged in. Do I need to replace the double float aux fuel sensor? Can it be taken out and repaired? Thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now do the same thing with the double float assembly, just to confirm. Start with it unplugged, and turn the set to PRIME. Once set to prime and you hear the primary pump working, plug the aux fuel float back in. If its shorted the set should go quiet.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've actually been spending the better part of the last half hour scouring the 'net.... seems none are available for sale at the moment. I found some for the 10K, but they are a different design (and longer).

PM incoming.

PXL_20230323_204057823.jpg

Last edited:

ribs1

As I have been working on this I realized the original floats are foam and the new one has polymer floats. Why anyone would design a foam float to sit in diesel fuel for years, I don't know. Hopefully this one lasts forever.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe we need to figure out a way to repair or rebuild them.
I don't believe that will be possible. Probably have better luck finding someone who makes something similar, and find one that isn't an exact... but might work. Kind of like that company who makes the fuel level senders... KUS? Maybe they have a comparable beast.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I don't believe that will be possible. Probably have better luck finding someone who makes something similar, and find one that isn't an exact... but might work. Kind of like that company who makes the fuel level senders... KUS? Maybe they have a comparable beast.
I was thinking that you or @kloppk could design one, build it and then market it here on this forum 😇

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks