• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a Low Alternator Voltage Output

ethernaut85

Hello Everyone

I recently picked up a 802a that does not charge. I have checked output at the alternator by placing a multimeter across the positive and negative leads as described by the TM. I am getting around 24 volts +/- 0.5v. According to the manual, it says that the alternator needs replaced if the multimeter reads less than 27v or so. Does anyone have any suggestions on anywhere else to look to make sure that its not the alternator but something else? I used my multimeter on the diagnostics port on the front while the genset was running and all the readings were in the 22v range except (d) which is the battery charging circuit which was ~24v.

In addition, I've read about the remote fuel drain fitting leaking which my generator does. How can this be rectified? We started taking off panels to get the fuel tank out but 50 bolts later we are still shy of removing the tank.

Thanks in advance for the help!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 802 that didn't charge and the root cause was failed diodes in the alternator. Worth a shot to see if that's the problem.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. I replaced the diodes and all was good.

This is the alternator I had on my unit - http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_produ...il_id=19373&item=8MR3005CA&product=ALTERNATOR

The Prestolite part numbers for the rectifiers are:

0180000G98S $13.76 (includes diode trio)

0180000F83S $5.83

Here are a couple of photos to see what was wrong with mine. It had been rebuilt when the generator was rebuilt but one of the rectifiers were assembled incorrectly from the factory.

Attachments

ethernaut85

This is the alternator I had on my unit - http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_produ...il_id=19373&item=8MR3005CA&product=ALTERNATOR

0180000F83S $5.83

Here are a couple of photos to see what was wrong with mine. It had been rebuilt when the generator was rebuilt but one of the rectifiers were assembled incorrectly from the factory.
Great, thanks for the info. We will take a look at it. A new alternator is an expensive option. We will keep the thread updated.

mlaxton

Great, thanks for the info. We will take a look at it. A new alternator is an expensive option. We will keep the thread updated.

0180000F83S $5.83

I have ordered both rectifiers for back up, whether is a regulator that can fail as well correct? Do you know where to source that?

Guyfang

Staff member
Do keep in mind, that there are two different alternators, and you have to compare the part number on the alternator to the part number in the TM. In all probability, its the new alternator. BUT there are still a few old one out there.

mlaxton

Do keep in mind, that there are two different alternators, and you have to compare the part number on the alternator to the part number in the TM. In all probability, its the new alternator. BUT there are still a few old one out there.
Are you referring to the rectifiers?

Guyfang

Staff member
No, the battery charging alternators. Two different kinds were used on all TQG's. take a gander at the -24P TM. As they do not look alike, its easy to see what is what. The regulator pictured above is for the new alternator.

Zed254

My notes on alternators for the MEP-802A and MEP-803A generators:
Alternator: PRESTOLITE LEECE NEVILLE 8MR3005C CAR 8RG3063 GENERATOR ALTERNATOR TRUCK 24V , NSN 6115-01-368-2911. Actual part number is 8MR3005CA, NSN 6115-01-459-1661. The 8MR3005C will need the head rotated per Green Mountain.

SCg Steve

Trying to breath life into an old thread, but does someone have a photo of the wired up alternator on an MEP803A? I’m trying to verify if mine is wored correctly as it is not charging the batteries , with a new alternator.

SCg Steve

Have you checked the fuse behind the gauge panel to see (1) that its present, and (1) that its in working order? How is yours wired up now, can you share a photo?
Thank You so much! Verified the wiring of the alternator, and as you suggested, the fuse holder wasn't seated completely and that was the issue! Thanks so much!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks