• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A. ....60hertz?.

Blackbear

I read in a post that, you want to run your 803 at ,60htz when operating or it will / could damage the unit. Consequently I have been runnin mine and the dial has not moved off zero, granted I did not adjust the throttle or the knob to the far right to dial up the voltage. At this point I thought the dial was not working, however now I realize it probably does work, everything else does, so what am I doing wrong?
I have run the unit for about 20 hours on single phase 120/240, works great,
no issues runnin Nguyen my RV. So can I damage the unit somehow?
thanks in advance for any help.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two possibilities come to mind.
1) Could be the frequency transducer or the frequency meter is bad. Wiring could be an issue too.
2) You are running the 803 at a speed that is less than 55 hertz

The voltage adjust will not change the frequency, only adjusting the engine speed will.

You ought to get your hands on a handheld voltmeter that can measure frequency and see what your 803's output frequency is and go from there.

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets see if I understand you right. You are running your set with the hertz meter not reading? The hertz reading is entirely dependent on engine speed. The black knob on the right side, slightly under the control panel is for adjusting the engine speed. When you turn it to the left, the speed should increase, to the right, it should decrease. Easy to hear if it works right. Start the gen set. Turn the black knob to the left. You should hear the engine speed come up, and at some point in time the hertz meter should also come up. Stop it at 60 hertz, (more or less) and leave it there. Do not lower the engine speed when turning off the set. It's good right where you leave it. Sometimes under a heavy load, the hertz may drop, bump it up a tad.

What will do bad things to your volt regulator is running the gen set at VERY low speeds. Idle for instance, is VERY bad. The volt regulator will try to produce 120 volt no matter how low the engine speed/hertz is. And yes, that can damage the Volt regulator. If you have been powering things with the gen set, and they work, you can't be all that low. So don't get too worried about. If you screw the knob to the left and the engine sounds like it's going to come apart, and the hertz meter is not moving, then you have another problem. First adjust it and see what is what.

Blackbear

Understood both good comments and some answers. When the engine is running it's running pretty good,I don't believe it's at a slow idle, I did run it up a bit with the knob early in the process, but did not keep my eye of the Hertz meter. I will try it next run as I am not currently at the ranch. My take is the meter may not be working, any problems if I continue to run this way?

Guyfang

Staff member
The only way to know if its working is to jack up the engine speed. Then follow KLOPPK's instructions. Use a multi-meter that measures hertz. Stick the leads into the 110 volt outlet, of go to the output terminals. Too easy!

Chainbreaker

Or...buy or borrow a Kill-A-Watt meter. I have the P4460 and they are quite handy to have around for other needs as well. Amazon has the P4460 model for less than $30.

jamawieb

Be careful Blackbear because running just about anything under 50 hertz will damage it. Especially electronics will be damaged running under 55 hertz.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Products made in, and for use in USA all work in the 60Hz frame. The main item which most simple home owners and such know is single phase 120/240 volts power.

Most lights will work on other than 60Hz, motors will work also. Why? why you ask? Products are made with a UL compliance label. Most products can work with what's known as dirty power. The UL rating means it should be able to withstand a 5% variance. Manufacturers usually build to about a 8% variance for good measure. The whole world is getting more electronic, and digital. These items really like to see what's known as clean power 120volts 60Hz

Lets say a refrigerator was running on 120 volts, 52 Hz. Yes, it might run, but it will not last as long because it was built to see 120v 60Hz. The same thing can be said for too high a Hz. A battery backup for a computer is usually a AVR (automatic voltage regulation) type with make sure what connected gets clean 120v 60Hz.

Cheap easy ways to ensure what your output is.

Like others have stated, a Kill-A-Watt plug in meter can show you your volts, your Hz, and power draw. You can also get a clamp-on meter to see your volts and Hz, a decent multi-meter should also have the ability to see the Hz cycle. (not all do)

For anything made is the US for use in the US, you want 120volts and 60Hz at the plug. * or close enough

3 phase and such is another animal. That's a subject to itself.

87Nassaublue

Two possibilities come to mind.
1) Could be the frequency transducer or the frequency meter is bad. Wiring could be an issue too.
2) You are running the 803 at a speed that is less than 55 hertz

The voltage adjust will not change the frequency, only adjusting the engine speed will.

You ought to get your hands on a handheld voltmeter that can measure frequency and see what your 803's output frequency is and go from there.
I totally agree. You can get a small voltmeter that can measure frequency at Lowe's for under 20 bucks.

Blackbear

Yeah I've picked up a meter, and I'm on my way to the camp, will send out a picture and update when I'm able, to p,an ahead a bit where would I pick up a gauge and / or transducer?

Blackbear

Update

Latest update, I used a meter to check the frequency and it was difficult to get a steady reading. Generator runs great, as well as power to the RV, Rpms up off an idle, but HRZ gauge still did not register. At acted a couple pics. Guess I need to replace the gauge and transducer.

Attachments

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look at TM 9-6115-642-24
It has the steps to test the transducer and the meter.
Basically the transducer should put out 0.1 milliamps at 60 Hz or 0.2 milliamps at 65 Hz.
The meter is a milliammeter that is 0.2 milliamps at full scale.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a hunch...
Looks like water may have gotten into the frequency meter. I just noticed the lens is rust colored around the meter movement and the face of the meter looks discolored.
It's possible just the meter movement is rusted up and you may only need a new meter.

Chrispyny

Just out of curiousity, what should no load hertz be set at on the mep-80x units? I remember my 002a was 61.5-62hz. Is it the same for the 80x units? Ty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks