• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803a hydro locked

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In process of getting 803 running ( never fired up this far). A bit of history; got this set on Canadian version of gov surplus. No history, no indication of conditions at time of purchase. Set has 1810hrs and from different marking on various parts looks like it was serviced then parked circa 2013. Obvious at time of purchase that set was ran into = sheet metal damage. I can turn crank clockwise and counter by hand then engine just lock solid . Started looking into various part bottom end look good, remove the intake an noticed significant amount of oil ( not fuel) . Thinking one cyl is hydro locked. Suggestions?

Attachments

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K, looked into it a bit further, all valve move up and down fine. No bent push rod . was able to remove 2 injectors so far, inserted long qtip. Black sludge on injectors and on top of piston. I assume next step if lifting the head. Will look for a TM. If anyone has tips or advice for removing/reassembling head . It will be much appreciated.

Attachments

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont tear it down yet. Pull off all fuel injectors and fill the pistons with atf or mystery oil for a few days and see if it that loosens up the pistons till you can turn over by hand.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K, looked into it a bit further, all valve move up and down fine. No bent push rod . was able to remove 2 injectors so far, inserted long qtip. Black sludge on injectors and on top of piston. I assume next step if lifting the head. Will look for a TM. If anyone has tips or advice for removing/reassembling head . It will be much appreciated.

Attachments

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont tear it down yet. Pull off all fuel injectors and fill the pistons with atf or mystery oil for a few days and see if it that loosens up the pistons till you can turn over by hand.
Was able to get all 4 injectors off. Turns freely now. #3 spewed out gook out of injector port. Was able to suck all liquid from #3 and smaller amounts from the other 3 cylinder. It was definitely oil in the cylinder not fuel ( clean oil - kind of) When I got the set the whole air intake manifold was off. Today I noticed what was fresh oil in air intake , the glow plug are coated in fresh oil. There was fresh oil in the intake port. Now wondering if a misguided tech didn't pour oil in the intake in 2013 before the set went to storage. ????

Attachments

Ray70

Wow, that puts a new spin on "Fogging the cylinders" with oil prior to storage!
I was at the local parts store looking for fogging oil a couple weeks ago and my wholesale guy said no one carries fogging oil any more and suggested just squirting a little ATF in each cylinder, or a little wd-40. Guess that generator guy took it to the next level and dumped in the whole bottle!

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at the local parts store looking for fogging oil a couple weeks ago and my wholesale guy said no one carries fogging oil any more and suggested just squirting a little ATF in each cylinder, or a little wd-40. Guess that generator guy took it to the next level and dumped in the whole bottle!
Maybe the cosmolined it like the surplus mosin nagants. I actually saw some fogging oil this week at my local advanced auto parts store.

Guyfang

Staff member
Before you start tearing things apart, start simple. put it back together. Leave the injectors out of it. Turn over the engine using batterys or a slave cable. Use S10 to do this. Be advised, any liquid in the jugs WILL come out, and like a high powered water gun. I would cover the holes with cloth. Then put the injectors back in, and see if you can start the engine.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you start tearing things apart, start simple. put it back together. Leave the injectors out of it. Turn over the engine using batterys or a slave cable. Use S10 to do this. Be advised, any liquid in the jugs WILL come out, and like a high powered water gun. I would cover the holes with cloth. Then put the injectors back in, and see if you can start the engine.
Will do. thanks

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PS:

S10, - dead crank switch. Right?

Guyfang

Staff member
Roger!

If someone, ( I am the worst) uses a name for something you do not know, look at the data plates on the doors. There are wire diagrams there. The legend will help you out. If you have not down loaded the TM's from the forum here, you should. Lots of good info.

jamawieb

Ray just got some stabile fogging oil at walmart last week to get my boat ready for winter.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PS:

S10, - dead crank switch. Right?
Guyfang, quick question. Got everything together. I have good compression, fuel, solenoid engage as it should. Engine turns freely but wont run. MPU at the sensor register at max. .8 v ac. ( adjusted/readjusted as per TM and forum) Read most/all your post. And everything on " crank but won't run" . Is the failure of MPU to produce 2.5 to 3 volts as required sufficient for engine cranking but not running?. Plenty of 5/8-18 mpu on line . But wil

Guyfang

Staff member
Of course! Pull it out and look at it. Is it ground off? Re install, (after testing of course) and then adjust it again. I dont know if you have done all this again, but sometimes it pays to recheck, readjust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks