• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a load test

coastalguy

Hello all, I got my first new to me 803a gen set a couple weeks ago. Replaced all fluids and filters and put a set of batteries in it. I went ahead and put a can of sea foam in the fuel tank and fresh diesel. The unit fired right up and purred like a kitten. The unit already had the fuse mod and I installed the Mov mod. Everything seemed to be fine so I went ahead and did a load test using space heaters per Colts YouTube video. 13kw put the gauge right at 105% and 14.5k brought it to 110%. Other than me finding out my fuel gauge is off the unit hummed along workout issue. Here's a picture of my log book. The next logical step to me is to hook it up to my house and see what all it can run. Just looking for feedback on my results and if anyone has any other suggestions or tests I should do before connecting to my house. Thank you everyone for the input.

Attachments

Ray70

Looks like its performing well. Typically you would want to start it at more like 25% load then progressive increase the load every 15-20 minutes or so and work your way up to 100%, burning off any carbon buildup in the process.
Looks like you chose to just hit it with full load + right out of the gate!
Since it survived that with minimal issues you should be ok to move forward with hooking it up to your house.
Hopefully you have some big 240V items in your house, because typical items won't get you anywhere near full load, you need an electric stove, electric dryer, central air etc. to gut you up there!

coastalguy

Yessir. I built up to it I just didn't start my log until I got over 100% load. I let it warm up with no load and then did 50% for 5 minutes. 75% for 10 minutes then 100% for 10 minutes then started the log at 110%. I have 2 central a/c systems but they are both only 2 ton cause my whole house is spray foamed. I do have electric dryer, stove and water well. My hot water heater is on demand gas though. I'm going to install soft starts on the a/c units before hooking into my house.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI - The load gauge is calibrated assuming a 0.8 power factor. If you are applying a resistive load you need to take that into account. You were way above 100% at 13kw.

Ray70

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much of your house the 803 is going to power. You'll be able to wash and dry clothes on a hot summer day while you're chilling out with the AC cranking!