• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A no start

Billy2642

I have an 803a and a 802a with what seems to be the same issue. They will both crank but no start. I have fuel coming thru the injector pumps and up to the injectors. I do not see any leaked and both units have the upgraded electric fuel pump. Is it common for the injectors to get clogged up? Both machines are low hour units. Both machines came from the same place. Any ideas?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What have you done to diagnose? 9-8115-642-24 has steps to troubleshoot this condition.

Billy2642

What have you done to diagnose? 9-8115-642-24 has steps to troubleshoot this condition.
Ensure all lines were free of debris, new fuel water sep and inline element filter, then bled them to the injector pumps. Slightly loosened hard lines on the top of injector pumps and cranked machine until I had steady fuel flow and then tightened. Then cracked hard line at each injector on top and cranked until I had fuel flow. Tighened. Fuel solenoid is working as it should . Crank and no fire

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ensure all lines were free of debris, new fuel water sep and inline element filter, then bled them to the injector pumps. Slightly loosened hard lines on the top of injector pumps and cranked machine until I had steady fuel flow and then tightened. Then cracked hard line at each injector on top and cranked until I had fuel flow. Tighened. Fuel solenoid is working as it should . Crank and no fire
Do you have compression? Can you hear the starter motor bog down on the compression stroke, or does it just whine like it's turning easy? Can you feel air blowing out the exhaust while cranking? If so, can you smell raw diesel? Is the fuel good?

Ray70

Sounds like you are getting fuel to the injectors, if I'm reading correctly.
Are you getting any smoke while cranking?
I think you need to verify compression as DieselMeister said.
If it cranks excessively fast and steady rather than hearing the pulsation of the compression strokes, then I would lean towards valves being hung open due to carbon / excessive wet stacking.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar sounding problem with an 802a a while back. It was a low hour unit. It simply would not fire at all.

The problem was that the pin in the injector pump that rides in the rail was stuck.

I took each injector pump out (always leaving one pump left installed). That pin should rotate freely. One pump was somewhat stiff and the other was really stiff and took effort to move. I disassembled each pump and cleaned up the pump piston and cylinder. I made sure that I left a little oil in the pump cylinder. Upon re-installation of the pumps they worked fine. Since then I understand that this is not an uncommon problem with low hour generators.

Be sure to save and re-use the plastic spacers that go between the engine and pump.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks