• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803a Percent rated current

mlaxton

Thanks for all the help in my last thread but I have some more questions. The “percent rated current” gauge. Either was explained to me by the gentleman I bought the gen from that this is the gen output. He said you wanted to run the gen at 75% to avoid wet stacking. I must say I am impressed with this unit, the picture I will attach of the meter showing it just a tad under was with my 5ton central air running, my 1.5 ton central air for my garage, pool pump, fridge, lights, TV I was amazed, I was finding stuff to turn on to get it up that high. I do not need to run all of these things in a hurricane I just want to avoid damage to the unit. So I guess my two questions would be. 1 is this meter used to gauge the output of the generator? 2 When the AC kicks on that meter jumps all the way up, it happens so fast maybe half a second, the gauge doesn’t even stop at the high point. Is that bad for the unit for that split second? Or don’t in say every 20 min intervals as the AC cycles on and off.F4C92686-A68C-4976-8055-06FB986B17A8.jpeg

Ray70

Don't worry about keeping it at 75% output. You don't need to be that high. You just don't want to go for long periods of time with very little load. Worst case if you run at little load ( under 25% ) for a full day or more just turn a few extra things on every couple days for 1/2 hour or more to burn off any carbon or fuel buildup. Wet stacking is a Real thing, but 75% output ALL the time is not necessary!

mlaxton

Don't worry about keeping it at 75% output. You don't need to be that high. You just don't want to go for long periods of time with very little load. Worst case if you run at little load ( under 25% ) for a full day or more just turn a few extra things on every couple days for 1/2 hour or more to burn off any carbon or fuel buildup. Wet stacking is a Real thing, but 75% output ALL the time is not necessary!
What about the surging from the AC turning on, is this bad for the unit? It’s maybe a half second

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the help in my last thread but I have some more questions. The “percent rated current” gauge. Either was explained to me by the gentleman I bought the gen from that this is the gen output. He said you wanted to run the gen at 75% to avoid wet stacking. I must say I am impressed with this unit, the picture I will attach of the meter showing it just a tad under was with my 5ton central air running, my 1.5 ton central air for my garage, pool pump, fridge, lights, TV I was amazed, I was finding stuff to turn on to get it up that high. I do not need to run all of these things in a hurricane I just want to avoid damage to the unit. So I guess my two questions would be. 1 is this meter used to gauge the output of the generator? 2 When the AC kicks on that meter jumps all the way up, it happens so fast maybe half a second, the gauge doesn’t even stop at the high point. Is that bad for the unit for that split second? Or don’t in say every 20 min intervals as the AC cycles on and off.
Howdy,
Here is some generators being run with different loads.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All else aside.....those meters are mechanical D'Arsonval movements and can be physically damaged if they are constantly slamming over to the max.
I would manage the loading to prevent this from happening if possible.

reset2

Maybe a good practice would be to over cool your house then set the thermostat up 5 degrees. This will keep the cycle times much less and avoiding what you are concerned about. As your house heats back up then rest your thermostat. I realize this is a PITA but constant run of any mechanical equipment will help it live longer. I have been doing HVAC work for years and the cycle times always are at top or mind. Guess I'm a little OCD that way.

tarster

Get a soft-start kit for your AC. I don't think they are that expensive

--paul
I just bought and installed a Micro-Air 368 on my 3.5 ton heat pump prior to buying a 803a... What a difference.. LRA is 84amps.. the micro-air has bluetooth and stats etc.. it pulls 26amps now on start up and running is 10 amps. Plus my lights dont dim anymore either, Well worth the $380 for the unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks