• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Repair Assistance

Lucky Bud

Have a low hour 10 k MEP-803A generator.
located south of Dallas. In need of someone who can work on mine.
it runs and puts out, but won’t run at a steady Rpm.
thanks

Lucky Bud

Have a low hour 10 k MEP-803A generator.
located south of Dallas. In need of someone who can work on mine.
it runs and puts out, but won’t run at a steady Rpm.
thanks
No load
have a couple of these and they run smooth with or without load.
would like to take it to a Gen guy with the knowlage and tools.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Ray mentioned it need a simply droop adjustment to the governor. Just requires a 5mm hex key at least 5 inches long.
The RPM hunting can be caused by that adjustment being incorrect.

The -24 TM explains how to adjust it. Basically remove a pipe plug to access the adjustment, use the 5mm hex to change the setting of the adjustment screw.

Lucky Bud

Mark everything before trying to adjust. If the "adjustment" is not helping, put it back where it was. Also know that the fuel shutoff and its connections, if they are loose, or mal adjusted, will give you that fault.
Thanks for that.
will get back to you with results.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whens the last time you did a filter change on this machine? Does it have the inline strainer just south of the inlet on the primary pump? I was once chasing what I thought was a droop concern... turns out that stupid little filter was the cause!

Lucky Bud

Mark everything before trying to adjust. If the "adjustment" is not helping, put it back where it was. Also know that the fuel shutoff and its connections, if they are loose, or mal adjusted, will give you that fault.
What have you done to diagnose the issue, anything? Does it only display this under load, or just while running unloaded?
Whens the last time you did a filter change on this machine? Does it have the inline strainer just south of the inlet on the primary pump? I was once chasing what I thought was a droop concern... turns out that stupid little filter was the cause!
Update on the Mep 803 a.
hours on the machine are 209 total. Changed filters and checked fuel cap.
it was rusted and turned off.
repaired rotten return line. Engine will now run normal for six minuets.
had electrician check output. Appears normal.
never put it under a load.
As soon as the thermostat starts to open the drooping begins.
1 1/2 min later it hunts out of control and it gets shut down.
better than it was.
Bud

Guyfang

Staff member
OK, now I found it! In this thread you are having problems with the engine running. I read through this thread several times. Did you follow Kurts suggestions in message #5? And a video would help. If we can see/hear it start to bog down, we may have a better clue.

Lucky Bud

OK, now I found it! In this thread you are having problems with the engine running. I read through this thread several times. Did you follow Kurts suggestions in message #5? And a video would help. If we can see/hear it start to bog down, we may have a better clue.
Have not adjusted the frequency.
it continues to run well for 10 to 15 minuets. Have changed the filters and drained the fuel tank and scoped it.
no dirty filters or debris. Have a clear stack and oil and temp readings look good.
it consistently begins to droop after it reaches operating temp.
will attemp to attach files of
2.30 min. Stable
5.00 min stable
8.00 min stable
12.00 begins to droop
12 to 13 min droop will increase until engine dies and will not start again until it cools.

Guyfang

Staff member
12 to 13 min droop will increase until engine dies and will not start again until it cools.

By "Will not start" do you mean, will not turn over? Or turns over and will not start.

Any idiot lights on, when it stops running?

After it stops running, leave it just the way it is. S1 in the on position, do not touch anything. What is the temp gauge reading, and what is it reading 5 min later? Go up? Go down?

Then, when it cools down, and will start, start it up again. Let it run until it stops again. THEN, unplug the A2, (fault indicator) and see if it will start.

Please enclose only:
2.30 min. Stable
5.00 min stable
8.00 min stable
12.00 begins to droop
12 to 13 min droop will increase until engine dies
and will not start again until it cools.

Guyfang

Staff member
Oh, forgot to mention, I drove through Kerens last time I was in the states. My family was in Wills Point. I took my wife on a ride over to Ft. Hood. We passed though Canton, as my wife had never been to First Monday. Then down to Athens and over toward Corsicana and then to Hood to see an old retired buddy of mine. Nice ride, great time. Wonderful country.

Lucky Bud

Oh, forgot to mention, I drove through Kerens last time I was in the states. My family was in Wills Point. I took my wife on a ride over to Ft. Hood. We passed though Canton, as my wife had never been to First Monday. Then down to Athens and over toward Corsicana and then to Hood to see an old retired buddy of mine. Nice ride, great time. Wonderful country.
had another go at it.
unplugged the A2 fault indicator or the malfunction indicator as described on the schematic.
thought we had a chance for awhile. Took 15 minuet’s to begin drooping. Temp never exceeded 180 degrees.
oil never went below 42 psi. When the drooping became excessive I shut her down.
fuel pump not hot. Water and oil levels are correct. Temp did not rise after shutdown. No drips or leaks.
it will now start back up after shutdown with or without the a2 plugged in. It resumes the droop where it left off.
once cool it will start and run normal for 10 to 15 min.
I’m sure it is fuel related.

my mail lady is from Germany. My grandson just returned from there two weeks ago.
I have a daf ya 126 that I’m getting ready to start on next year.
not to many of those here in the states.

Guyfang

Staff member
had another go at it.
unplugged the A2 fault indicator or the malfunction indicator as described on the schematic.
thought we had a chance for awhile. Took 15 minuet’s to begin drooping. Temp never exceeded 180 degrees.
oil never went below 42 psi. When the drooping became excessive I shut her down.
fuel pump not hot. Water and oil levels are correct. Temp did not rise after shutdown. No drips or leaks.
it will now start back up after shutdown with or without the a2 plugged in. It resumes the droop where it left off.
once cool it will start and run normal for 10 to 15 min.
I’m sure it is fuel related.

my mail lady is from Germany. My grandson just returned from there two weeks ago.
I have a daf ya 126 that I’m getting ready to start on next year.
not to many of those here in the states.
Get a hose and a bucket. Put diesel in the bucket. Unhook the input side of the E2, (primary electric fuel pump. I would even take the E2 off, so I could look into the E2 opening, to loo for trash. Is there a tiny filter screwed into the E2? If so, I would replace it if there is. Its not an expensive part. But the will remove it from the equation. Then remount the E2. Hook the hose up to the inlet fitting. Then start the set. How long will it run?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks