• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805A Gen-End destruction? + Newbie

brad.bds.llc

MEP805-A, gen-end meets it's end.

The copper windings in this thing look shredded! (Looking from the bottom power output post door) Here is what happened;

Just got the new gen home, first ever surplus item, Unknown operating condition w/ no batteries. Put in oil and coolant + batteries, checked fuel and it was good. After a dead crank and prime it fired right up after who knows how long of sitting with 1/4 tank of old fuel.

-----So now, the voltage is showing right over 400 volts on the first 2-3 of the knob settings on the AM-VM knob.
-The remaining knobs are maxing out the meter of 500+ !
-Voltage knob has totally no effect on the meter. I have no clue what I'm doing so I switch through the knobs and screwing with switches
-The Frequency knob does work
-Under voltage Indicator is on
-Was able to shut off generator by using the push test reset lamps button??
-So I continued flipping all switches and knobs but no way to adjust voltage, after a while of running the thing begins to start smoking so I shut it off thinking there are some leaves and stuff inside burning. Now the over voltage indicator is on

-----Another thing. There were 2 empty relay spots inside the control box on the right side. There was one spare sitting inside so I shut it off and plugged it into one of the empty slots to see if that made the voltage knob work, no effect. Then I shut off and plugged into the other empty slot, no effect but I left it plugged in because there are wires running to it.

-----Well I think I toasted the Gen-end because I can see a mess of copper looking like a birds nest inside the casing. Pretty sure I looked ealier and was not like that.
-Maybe the voltage was too high and then after activating battle short with no clue what it did, maybe thats what caused this? Or something to do with plugging in the spare relay?

----- So now the volt and HZ meters are at ZERO all the time with no effect from the knobs
-However the frequency knob does still change the rpms of the machine slightly
-The test lamp button now doesn't shut off the generator anymore
-Changing the spare relay between the empty slots does nothing

So does anyone know what would cause the voltage knob to not do anything at all?
What might've caused a birds nest of wires inside the gen end?
Is there supposed to be 2 empty relay slots?
Why the under voltage light was on?
Can I buy diagnostic equipment and figure out the issues?

I'd need to fix the issues that caused it before replacing the Gen-End

Btw, could I replace the gen end with an 805-b gen end?

~~~This is a lot to ask but all info would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to find out what needs replaced and get this beast in service! Starts and runs like a dream. I did find a gen-end from an 805b locally so I'm hoping I could use that for a replacement? Luckily the existing gen end looks pretty rough anyways but the engine looks like it just rolled off the lot. I can post pictures tomorrow.

Chainbreaker

First off welcome to the forum!

Secondly before "Guy" pounces on you with the TM whip, have you downloaded the TM's? They are under the TM section at top of header screen. You need to read up and get familiar with your genset & unit specific terminology so members can better assist you.

brad.bds.llc

First off welcome to the forum!

Secondly before "Guy" pounces on you with the TM whip, have you downloaded the TM's? They are under the TM section at top of header screen. You need to read up and get familiar with your genset & unit specific terminology so members can better assist you.

THX!
It's great to be here and now to hear there is even TM's, That is awesome!

Guyfang

Staff member
Pounce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the TM's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, serious now.

~~~This is a lot to ask but all info would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to find out what needs replaced and get this beast in service! Starts and runs like a dream. I did find a gen-end from an 805b locally so I'm hoping I could use that for a replacement? Yes. The A&B models share a common Main gen. Luckily the existing gen end looks pretty rough anyways but the engine looks like it just rolled off the lot. I can post pictures tomorrow. Please do!

So does anyone know what would cause the voltage knob to not do anything at all?
What might've caused a birds nest of wires inside the gen end? Could be a main gen failure. Could be the MPU has been ground off, and you have miles of hair thin wire from the MPU in the main gen. PICTURES!!
Is there supposed to be 2 empty relay slots? NO!
Why the under voltage light was on? The answer to this question will also answer your first two questions. When it says UNDER VOLTAGE, the main gen is NOT making voltage.
Can I buy diagnostic equipment and figure out the issues? Of course. But before you pour money on the gen set, lets see whats wrong.

brad.bds.llc

Pounce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the TM's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, serious now.

~~~This is a lot to ask but all info would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to find out what needs replaced and get this beast in service! Starts and runs like a dream. I did find a gen-end from an 805b locally so I'm hoping I could use that for a replacement? Yes. The A&B models share a common Main gen. Luckily the existing gen end looks pretty rough anyways but the engine looks like it just rolled off the lot. I can post pictures tomorrow. Please do!

What might've caused a birds nest of wires inside the gen end? Could be a main gen failure. Could be the MPU has been ground off, and you have miles of hair thin wire from the MPU in the main gen. PICTURES!!
Is there supposed to be 2 empty relay slots? NO!
Why the under voltage light was on? The answer to this question will also answer your first two questions. When it says UNDER VOLTAGE, the main gen is NOT making voltage.
Can I buy diagnostic equipment and figure out the issues? Of course. But before you pour money on the gen set, lets see whats wrong.

This is all very great news so far!! Here are some photos and I emailed them also

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Brad,

No no. Not pack rats. This looks like a main gen exciter rotor failure. Do not pass go. Do not get 200 bucks. If you can get a main gen from a 805B model, do so. This is a very good main gen. Rarly go bad. I assume your rear main bearing went bad. The main gen rotor began to impact the exciter rotor and windings.

There might be other things wrong, but you can not address them without replacing the main gen. Would like to see pictures of the main gen taken apart, if you decide to replace it.

Take care and good luck. If you need help, give a shout.

Guy

Ray70

Agree with Guy, dismantle the gen head and report what you find, that should easily allow us to determine what went wrong.
Either way it's a mechanical gen failure, nothing caused by you.... although you really should have a full understanding of the machine, how to operate it and how to prep it for it's initial startup... Before you attempted to start it. But... water under the bridge at this point.
Now lets get everything up to par before attempting to start it again. (y)

brad.bds.llc

Agree with Guy, dismantle the gen head and report what you find, that should easily allow us to determine what went wrong.
Either way it's a mechanical gen failure, nothing caused by you.... although you really should have a full understanding of the machine, how to operate it and how to prep it for it's initial startup... Before you attempted to start it. But... water under the bridge at this point.
Now lets get everything up to par before attempting to start it again. (y)

Yes, that sounds exactly plausible to what happened! Will go ahead and replace the main gen and take pictures of everything. This is great news, I was worried about replacing it and having the same problem again due to electrical issues but the mechanical failure sounds exactly right. Thx guys you are awesome!
I'll make sure to get pictures of everything. Excited to replace it and move forward! There's an 805b on ebay with low hours I plan to buy just a couple hours away in Nebraska. 550 obo. Might even replace the bearing just to be safe. Excellent help and great news!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks