• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805b generator crank no start-

Boozer

Hello,
Recently purchased an MEP 803B generator, unit has under 600 hours on it.
I put in new batteries and changed the oil, unit cranks over does not start. I did give it a shot of either and it fired right up.
- I have primed fuel system all the way to the injector pump. I am not getting voltage to the solenoid on the inj pump, i sent 24 volts to the pump still no start. On the screen i have a low oil pressure but i am not sure if that will prevent a start?? It appears to have good oil pressure, i removed switch and cleaned it up no restrictions found.
- a guess is a lack of voltage ??
- behinds the panel the LED is lit green “DC power”, also green led lid is “speed sensor”

Unit was advertised as running prior to sale.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Attachments

MrShawn305

Ok so on my 805B on initial start here's what I have to do or mine won't start:

1: turn on master control and panel lights
2: Turn on start switch to prime and run
3: Hold fault reset for 2-3 seconds (your low oil pressure message will clear) then release
4: Turn start switch to "Start"
5: Profit

Boozer

Thank you for the reply,

I have gone through those steps several times with no luck, i cannot get that low oil oil pressure to clear. I did put an ohm meter across the fault reset switch to make sure it was clear when resetting.

Would the low oil pressure prevent the engine from starting or is it a warning only?

Thanks again for the response.

MrShawn305

Thank you for the reply,

I have gone through those steps several times with no luck, i cannot get that low oil oil pressure to clear. I did put an ohm meter across the fault reset switch to make sure it was clear when resetting.

Would the low oil pressure prevent the engine from starting or is it a warning only?

Thanks again for the response.
Stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway because it kind of sounds like it: Is your "dead crank" switch in the correct position? Have you verified that it is? Because I did that on my 805 the other day. Couldn't get anything to clear, dead crank switch was in the wrong position. Flipped it and all was well after that.

MrShawn305

Ok, so it cranks over but just never fires? Have you verified that you're not losing prime? My 805 would crank over forever it seemed like before it finally got prime. I would have to prime it with the manual lever on the fuel pump, and then after some cranking (much less than without) it would fire. I know you have a different unit, but I'm not sure if maybe that's your issue. Also, check the water drain on the filter and make sure you have clean fuel coming out of it.

Boozer

Ok, so it cranks over but just never fires? Have you verified that you're not losing prime? My 805 would crank over forever it seemed like before it finally got prime. I would have to prime it with the manual lever on the fuel pump, and then after some cranking (much less than without) it would fire. I know you have a different unit, but I'm not sure if maybe that's your issue. Also, check the water drain on the filter and make sure you have clean fuel coming out of it.
correct cranks no start. Does crank fast. I do not get any fuel to the injectors. I have fuel to the injector pump.
I will check the water drain and see what fuel is like.
I guess it’s possible it could be restricted enough not to get to pump.
Thanks for the response.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you check the MPU?

Also, change the subject of this thread. There is no such thing as a MEP-803B. Its misleading, folks who might help you think you are talking about a 10 KW.

Boozer

Have you check the MPU?

Also, change the subject of this thread. There is no such thing as a MEP-803B. Its misleading, folks who might help you think you are talking about a 10 KW.
MPU? Can you explain more on that?

yes will change name, thank you.

Guyfang

Staff member
The MPU. Magnetic Pick Up. It tells the set what the engine RPU is. If its maladjusted, missing, the end ground off or dirty, it gives the engine speed controller a bad signal. That can very easy keep the set from operating. Read the -24 TM. The procedure for removal, inspection, cleaning, instillation, adjustment and testing is in the TM. Pay very close attention to reinstalling procedure, or you will grind off the end of the MPU.

Boozer

The MPU. Magnetic Pick Up. It tells the set what the engine RPU is. If its maladjusted, missing, the end ground off or dirty, it gives the engine speed controller a bad signal. That can very easy keep the set from operating. Read the -24 TM. The procedure for removal, inspection, cleaning, instillation, adjustment and testing is in the TM. Pay very close attention to reinstalling procedure, or you will grind off the end of the MPU.

Great thank you i will try that this weekend.

Guyfang

Staff member
Cleaned up still no start.

code 9 low oil won’t clear.
fuel to injector pump none coming out. Solenoid jumpered w 24v.
What the hell is that on the MPU?
Do you mean Low Oil pressure? Big difference between oil and pressure.
By solenoid, do you mean the electric actuator?

Boozer

What the hell is that on the MPU?
Do you mean Low Oil pressure? Big difference between oil and pressure.
By solenoid, do you mean the electric actuator?
It was a big blob of grease of some sort, it wiped right off clean and looked good. Reinstalled as per manual!

Sorry yes oil pressure, ill attach a picture of the error screen.

Yes electric actuator on injector pump- when i send 24 volts to that it clicks hard like it is moving internally, i have done this several times to try to free it up if it is sticking.
It seems like its a 24 voltage issue, no power to injector pump actuator.and not what else? I don’t know if the #9 code will do this or not, it wont ever reset. Is there a way to check the oil pressure sending unit? Or to replace it is it a John Deere like kind replacement? I did take oil pressure sending unit off and make sure it has oil supply and cleaned it up.

There is also a fuel pump prime that has no power to it either, however when sent 24 volts it runs. I haven’t messed with this pump much because it appears to be. A fuel transfer pump from an external tank and has no suction hooked up its capped. Unit does have the hose in a compartment. Either way no pump start no power to injector acuator. I am confused if the oil pressure code will hold this out somehow?

Boozer

It was a big blob of grease of some sort, it wiped right off clean and looked good. Reinstalled as per manual!

Sorry yes oil pressure, ill attach a picture of the error screen.

Yes electric actuator on injector pump- when i send 24 volts to that it clicks hard like it is moving internally, i have done this several times to try to free it up if it is sticking.
It seems like its a 24 voltage issue, no power to injector pump actuator.and not what else? I don’t know if the #9 code will do this or not, it wont ever reset. Is there a way to check the oil pressure sending unit? Or to replace it is it a John Deere like kind replacement? I did take oil pressure sending unit off and make sure it has oil supply and cleaned it up.

There is also a fuel pump prime that has no power to it either, however when sent 24 volts it runs. I haven’t messed with this pump much because it appears to be. A fuel transfer pump from an external tank and has no suction hooked up its capped. Unit does have the hose in a compartment. Either way no pump start no power to injector acuator. I am confused if the oil pressure code will hold this out somehow?

Attachments

MrShawn305

107% fuel level. Interesting. Mine does that when I have the dead crank switch in the wrong position. But it won't crank from the S1 switch if that's the case.

Boozer

Proved out actuator on injector pump is operating. Fuel is getting to pump, zero pressure or fuel coming out of injector lines or from the return line. Lift pump has good flow.
At this point suspecting injector pump is plugged up or failed, any ideas as to where to get a new pump or a rebuilt pump?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks