• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-831a what should I do 1st?

Strobi1

I just picked up a 2002 mep-831a w/ 8 hours on the meter. The description was that it would turn but not start. Besides replacing the oil and fuel filter, is there anything else I should do before trying to start it up? I have a friend that recommends that with so much time sitting without running, that I should replace the Piston rings or at the very least soak them down with penetrating oil, then move Piston up and down to determine it the rings will damage cylinder walls. I'm sure this sounds extremely overboard, but I want to make sure that there is nothing that I do to diminish the reliable/longevity of this unit. This thing is super clean! Doesn't even have any dust in the breather box! I've read enough threads on hear to know that that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story though. I appreciate any help I can get, thanks

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the set came to you with fuel in it, I would drain the fuel and purge the fuel lines when you replace the fuel filter. I personally wouldn't worry about the piston rings at present. Also, you mentioned that they had been trying to start the set. Read the TM.

Strobi1

cool, thanks! i didn't see any information in the TMs on what to do after not being used for an extended period of time. I will reread, thanks for your help!

dav5

cool, thanks! i didn't see any information in the TMs on what to do after not being used for an extended period of time. I will reread, thanks for your help!
The first thing I would do after new fuel,oil etc would be to buy Kurts Governor controller [see parts for sale] and throw the OEM controller into the nearest garbage can. If it isn't causing trouble now it will in the future for sure.

Strobi1

Haha, Already have ordering info saved! Thanks, you just convinced me to pull the trigger on that. I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Met you at the overland show. How are things going? Ever start the build to replace the temporary camper?

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
I just picked up a 2002 mep-831a w/ 8 hours on the meter. The description was that it would turn but not start. Besides replacing the oil and fuel filter, is there anything else I should do before trying to start it up? I have a friend that recommends that with so much time sitting without running, that I should replace the Piston rings or at the very least soak them down with penetrating oil, then move Piston up and down to determine it the rings will damage cylinder walls. I'm sure this sounds extremely overboard, but I want to make sure that there is nothing that I do to diminish the reliable/longevity of this unit. This thing is super clean! Doesn't even have any dust in the breather box! I've read enough threads on hear to know that that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story though. I appreciate any help I can get, thanks
I WILL whole heartdly second DAV5 and buy Kurts new 831 control board, waste your time at your own risk ... But changing the rings and that whole effort.. I will quoat our President here, what do you have to loose by trying it ? as is first, leave it alone, buy K's kit and service the systems. From personal experience you will be tempted to add in the WHOLE DAMN QUART of oil, but it does make a big diff if even that small extra amount, the 831's will slobber and spit out the small seemingly no real extra oil and make just one hell of a mess on your outside paint finish, its at this point [over fill] your pal will tell you so, yup should have changed the rings.. stop drain some oil out and try and run it till it all clears up then its a sweet running unit
But ole DA here has done this small overfill, what a mess... wont do it again.

best: mac/mc

Strobi1

Met you at the overland show. How are things going? Ever start the build to replace the temporary camper?
Not yet , I've been working on the solar system and started planning out the extended cab modification. Decided that I will need a shop before tackling the habitat build, which hopefully will not be too far down the road

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks