• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-8xx Fuel/Water spin-on filter

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

It seems the MEP-8xx fuel/water spin-on filter is put on by King Kong.

Use a good filter wrench, strap wrench which fits and pull really really hard. It does actually come off.

Every MEP-802 and MEP-803 I have come across has had that filter way to tight, and dry.

This is usually what happens to them when taking it off. Watch out for the sharp edges.

tough fuel filter to get off.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
5hats why I convert all my gensets 5o the fm100 setups. No need for torque specs, just spin 5he ring till it clicks in.

Guyfang

Staff member
And the second time, I KNEW, it was going to happen, but thought I could still get it off. And did. Hammer. Chisel. Blood. Concerned young soldier, who had gloves on. Stupid.

Kenny0

I have found that using the filter wrench with the metal ring works better than the strap wrench, and putting it at the end of the filter that is attached will help keep the filter from collapsing. Not always able to do that because of the way filters are mounted. Another thing that helps on fuel filters is using engine oil on the gasket instead of diesel.

Bmxenbrett

I had to remove my filter housing and put the whole assembly in a vise to get it loose. Put mine on with some grease now.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, I am not talking about filters I have put on. Yes, some oil on the rubber gasket before installing.

The original installed filter when you purchased the unit, was probably installed dry, and very tight.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah just take the top and side sheet metal off to give you access, grab the filter as high up as you can get it, and give 'er ****. I just replaced one on a 10k, and what a PITA. Oil the seal before reseating new one (a Wix with bottom drip spout) and this puppy will be good to go through the ages.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that using the filter wrench with the metal ring works better than the strap wrench, and putting it at the end of the filter that is attached will help keep the filter from collapsing. Not always able to do that because of the way filters are mounted. Another thing that helps on fuel filters is using engine oil on the gasket instead of diesel.
Yup I just use a little bit of block oil on the seal, and its good. Have always done that... no idea why Fermont didnt.

Kenny0

Howdy,
OK, I am not talking about filters I have put on. Yes, some oil on the rubber gasket before installing.

The original installed filter when you purchased the unit, was probably installed dry, and very tight.
Yes I think most of us here know about using oil instead of diesel for lubing the gasket. I just put that there for someone that might not know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks