• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep exhaust insulation? Mep 803A

America

What’s the best way to insulate the exhaust pipe? I’m putting one inside and need to insulate the exhaust pipe. I’m sure it’s been covered but I can’t find it.

Scoobyshep

I did 2 passes. Are you trying to provide incidental contact protection? Or something heavier?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

America

If it is a straight run, you could use preformed mineral wool insulation like this https://www.mcmaster.com/insulation/pipe-insulation-3/mineral-wool-pipe-insulation/ . Otherwise two or three layers of the wrap as recommended by Scoobyshep should work. Just make sure the material is good for over 750 deg. F.
That’s exactly the type I was looking for. Also I just learned that you have to wrap the mineral wool pipe insulation in aluminum tube that McMaster sells to match. That’s the only way I have found it being done professionally. Here’s a pic for example of what Im looking for. Anyone use any other company’s? 150615D7-649A-4044-98AB-CC064806F746.jpeg

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option would be Calcium Silicate insulation ( www.industrialinsulation.com/images/calcium_silicate_data_sheet_050517.pdf ). It is harder than mineral wool, but is installed the same way; cut to fit, and secure with wire, then cover with the aluminum jacket. Depending on the length of your run, and how professional you want it to look, you could also carefully wrap the insulation with stainless steel foil tape, also from McMaster. I usually use McMaster, since most of the insulation vendors only want to sell a whole case or pallet, and I never need that much.

The insulation in your picture is usually installed by insulators, who will custom fabricate the aluminum jacket pieces directly on site.

Pitagot

The two options offered are both standard choices in the insulation industry. There is another option and that would be a fabricated pad/blanket much like the one inside an MEP on the muffler just thicker at 1” min. preferably 2”. One thing to keep in mind is that aluminum jacket looks good finished but will pull some heat through the insulation and could pose a burn hazard and radiate heat. Depending on the location a cloth type finish is preferred. Also I would not purchase through McMaster. There should be local supply house you can typically purchase all material required and aluminum jacket cut to size to match the od of insulation. If you have photos of what you plan, pipe size and your location I might be able to help with list of material required, installation method, and possible supply house to get you in the right direction. I’m a commercial/industrial insulation contractor PM. Let me know how I can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks