• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004A 15 kw Questions

Gordon Bryant

Hello all. My name is Gordon. I am new to this forum. Thanks for having me.
I have recently purchased a Model MEP 113A and learned it was 400 Hz. It runs, but what good is 400 Hz going to do me. So I guess I am stuck with it. I thought about using it for parts, if I bought another generator. I have found another generator model MEP 004A. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. The MEP 004A is rated for 50Hz, 60Hz and 400 Hz.
1. How is it possible to have 60Hz and 400Hz in the same generator?
2. Do you convert this generator to single phase as you would a generator that is only rated for 50/60 Hz. Is it the same procedure?
3. Do you see any negatives with me purchasing this generator?

I may have more questions later, but thought I would start with these.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance!!!!!!

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Forum. Although I have my share of generators, I can't do much to answer your questions, other then saying the 400Hz is mostly worthless for civilian use. But there is quite a following here, of very knowledgable Folks dedicated to these Generators. Be patient, and they will probably pick up on your thread, and help solve your problems.

RayK

The MEP-004a is 50 or 60 Hz by changing the rpm. It cannot do 400 Hz even if some of the data plates (like the ASK) indicate it can. The 004a can be converted to single phase (see Sewerzuk's threads), but it's not switchable like the MEP-002/3.
The MEP-113a is 400 Hz only, it could probably be converted to single phase, but I'm not aware of anyone that has.

If you purchase the 004a, you'll have a spare engine, radiator, housing, and some misc parts from the 113a. The genhead won't do you any good.

Gordon Bryant

Ok, so what I'm understanding is even though the plates on the MEP 004A with ASK say it can produce 400 Hz, it can not. I should be able to convert to single phase as Sewerzuk's describes in his U-tube video?

I just want to make sure, before I do something foolish.

1800 Diesel

Ok, so what I'm understanding is even though the plates on the MEP 004A with ASK say it can produce 400 Hz, it can not. I should be able to convert to single phase as Sewerzuk's describes in his U-tube video?

I just want to make sure, before I do something foolish.
Hey Gordon--Do you have an MEP113A or an MEP-004A? Post a photo of the data plate if you can--then we can be certain of what you actually have.

Kevin

1800 Diesel

Simply put they used the same data plate on both the MEP-113a and MEP-004a as amps and volts are the same
Ike,

On all my MEP4s, the data plate (the one with serial number) only has MEP-004A stenciled. I understand that the "Kilowatt Capacity" data plate (generally on the ASK models) does show both 60hz & 400hz frequencies--that's why I wanted him to post the actual data plate and maybe a couple other exterior photos of the unit. I'm still not clear if he actually has a 400hz unit or not...

Kevin

Gordon Bryant

Ok, I will try to get a picture of the plate on the MEP 004A. I know the MEP 113A is strictly 400 Hz. But the question is about the MEP 004A. I am new to the forum, so I will have to learn how to up load a picture. I will see if I can get this done soon. Thanks again for the help so far.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Gordon. Please refrain from using "help" in your titles unless you are in a emergency situation. This site is unlike any other, when members see 'help" in a title they are ready to jump into action.

Everyone that posts a question needs help. ;-)

Ray70

Hello Gordon, welcome to the forum. I think I know what you are talking about with the 50-60hz/400Hz dataplate.
I've seen data plates that indicate the weight of the generator that list both the weight of a 50/60hz and a 400hz machine, but there is another data plate on the machine that tells you the model, manufacturer, date and amperage ratings and what not.... I saw a machine with these same tags at auction, I was confused at first.... until I read the tag and looked at all the pictures. Unfortunately as far as parts go, not much on the electrical end will interchange with a 60hz unit, but most of the mechanicals will. Good luck with it!

1800 Diesel

Ok, I will try to get a picture of the plate on the MEP 004A. I know the MEP 113A is strictly 400 Hz. But the question is about the MEP 004A. I am new to the forum, so I will have to learn how to up load a picture. I will see if I can get this done soon. Thanks again for the help so far.
Gordon--no problem--just "go advanced" & go to "manage attachments" then upload the photos. Use the test page for practice--that's what I did prior to uploading photos the first time. :)

Back to the generator question--so it sounds like you have one of each, an MEP004A & an MEP 113A, correct? If you have both, (and as others have said), then the 400hz version can be your parts unit for the MEP-004A, but only for the mechanical side, DC alternator, sheet metal and some of the meters/gauges. As to the deeper end of the electronics, I think you're out of luck...hope it all works out for you. The guys on this site will be your best friends when trying to sort out problems on the generators (and other equipment too).... :)

Kevin

Gordon Bryant

MEP004Aplates.jpg

Ok, I have a picture of the MEP 004A. tag plate. I know it is small. I hope someone knows how to enlarge the photo. I want to make sure that my question is clear. I just need to know if this model can produce the 400Hz that is stated on the plate.

Ray70

Looks like a universal data plate. You can't produce both 400hz and 50/60hz from the same machine.
I believe that data plate was used on both -004A and -113A in addition to another data plate. There should also be another one listing the model number, manufacturer, date of manufacture, amperage/voltage output and some other info?? If not, I can understand your confusion.... you must be missing the other data plate with the specifics for that machine.

1800 Diesel

Ok, I have a picture of the MEP 004A. tag plate. I know it is small. I hope someone knows how to enlarge the photo. I want to make sure that my question is clear. I just need to know if this model can produce the 400Hz that is stated on the plate.
Gordon--Please show the data plate that is often found right above or near the "Kilowatt Capacity" label plate--the one that actually shows the generator model number. Also please answer other questions in my prior post.
Its kinda hard to assist when questions asked are not answered....aua

Edit--another question I didn't ask before--what is the range of your freq meter?

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:

Gordon Bryant

004A.jpg004A 1.jpgMEP 004A plates.jpg

1800 Diesel, I do have a MEP 113A, but it is only 400Hz. I bought it not knowing it was 400 Hz. So it will only be good for parts. I want to buy another 15 kw that is 60Hz. I have found one. It is the MEP 004A. I have not bought it yet, because the tag had a 60Hz and a 400Hz out put. That was questionable to me. I don't want to buy another problem, so I brought the question to the forum. attached are the all plate information that you requested. Let me know if you need any other info. I will do my best to answer the question.

Gordon Bryant

As far as the frequency meter, I do not have this generator in my possession so I can't look at the range of frequency. All I know is that it is a MEP 004A that has a plate that says it has a 60Hz and 400Hz out put. I just can't make any sense out of it.

Ray70

Gordon, are the tags you are showing from the unit you want to buy next?? looking at that tag shown it is a J.R Hollingsworth 60hz MEP-004A, not a 400Hz MEP-113A.
I think I'm getting confused as to which pictures are of your current unit and which are the unit you want to buy.
Your last set of 3 pics is the unit you want to purchase next? If so, go for it [thumbzup] its 60Hz.

Gordon Bryant

Ray70, yes the three pictures that I attached are from the next unit that I am looking to buy the MEP 004A. I did not post any pictures from the MEP-113A. I did notice on the tag where the model number is stated it says its a 50Hz/60Hz. I just do not understand why they would post a 400Hz option on the kilowatt capacity tag. That still doesn't make any sense to me. But as long as you guys say its not capable of 400Hz, then I'm satisfied. And I should then have no problem converting the 3 phase to single as Sewerzuks describes in his
u-tube video.

One other quick question, if I may on the 15kw gen sets?
Are the engine parts made by "White" the same as the engine parts made by "Hercules" ??? Are the parts all interchangeable?

Thanks,
Gordon

1800 Diesel

1800 Diesel, I do have a MEP 113A, but it is only 400Hz. I bought it not knowing it was 400 Hz. So it will only be good for parts. I want to buy another 15 kw that is 60Hz. I have found one. It is the MEP 004A. I have not bought it yet, because the tag had a 60Hz and a 400Hz out put. That was questionable to me. I don't want to buy another problem, so I brought the question to the forum. attached are the all plate information that you requested. Let me know if you need any other info. I will do my best to answer the question.
OK--now I get it! :) The photos you showed are from the MEP-004A that you want to purchase. That's a good model (with the acoustic enclosure) especially if you plan to operate the generator in a neighborhood. And yes, according to the model # on the data plate, that is a 60hz machine. So if you're getting a good price and its been tested at full output then I would go for it. Just to be certain of all components functioning properly, have you arranged to observe the unit while running? If you do buy it then you can do the single phase mod or use it as is with a little creative wiring.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks