• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A, governor slow to react to load

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently got the 803 running.

Put approx 18hrs run time in the last week performing various load test. Have access to various 5A, 10A , 20 and 23A 240v load. I was able to bring the load to 60A - 115% - Once and set ran fine. Problem is I can't do it consistently. If I try to step up the load by more than 10A at the time the set bog down to very low idle , If i flip the breaker off quickly it goes back to speed immediately. Always take load fine from 0 to 20A load , will bog down if I load to quickly after that ( regardless if I'm at 25,35,45A...) . Never tripped the overload fault.

In the last 4 days I read every post I could find and tested every suggestions. Ran set at every load above 50% for an hour or 2. At least 4 hrs between 80% and 100% load. No obstruction to air intake. Changed again both fuel filters. Sea foam in filter when I changed. And sea foam added to tank. Hertz variation between 0 load and 115% load is less than 2.3 hertz . Less that 1.5°F between any cylinder at any load
No signs of wet stacking. Temp steady at 190° at any load. Oil pressure steady at 35-40 psi. When set bog down on load no black/white smoke out of exhaust. Re-read TM. It's really feel like the governor is not responding quickly enough when load is added ( I saw you tube video where they go from 0 to 133% load by flicking K1 and set doesn't bog down) droop ? Voltage regulator? Thanks

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the governor is sluggish or if its in the IP.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Have you inspected the hard fuel lines to make sure you are getting adequate delivery, post filters? It is possible the fuel rack is out of adjustment, and you just can't fuel the machine enough (or the IPs need to be taken out, cleaned, and tested).

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the governor is sluggish or if its in the IP.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Took all 4 IP out , soaked, cleaned reassembled. All four were "seized in varnish" for having not run for 7 years or so , I'm not equipped to pressure test, but metering level and plunger were moving freely when I reinstalled them

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you inspected the hard fuel lines to make sure you are getting adequate delivery, post filters? It is possible the fuel rack is out of adjustment, and you just can't fuel the machine enough (or the IPs need to be taken out, cleaned, and tested).
LITD, hard line from IP to injectors?

I replaced the runber supply and return lines l

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any hard line (off the primary pump, after the canister fuel filter, to IPs, etc). Just try to figure diagnose the rest of the fuel delivery system. Does the smoke change color when it starts to bog? Did you replace the air filter, or is that as-delivered?

Did you clock the injection pumps when you reinstalled them to their maximum open? That will be important to full fuel delivery.

nextalcupfan

I could be mistaken, but I believe "Maximum Open" is when the rubber fuel lines on the IP's are closest to the block.
From the picture he posted it looks like they are the exact opposite, especially the one on the far left.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Followed TM on IP reinstalled. Fuel shutoff lever in full closed position , I made sure IP lever was in fuel rack slot then rotated IP counter clockwise before tightening
Any hard line (off the primary pump, after the canister fuel filter, to IPs, etc). Just try to figure diagnose the rest of the fuel delivery system. Does the smoke change color when it starts to bog? Did you replace the air filter, or is that as-delivered?

Did you clock the injection pumps when you reinstalled them to their maximum open? That will be important to full fuel delivery.
changed all filters, rubber lines. Set not smoking at any load when running and not smoking when bogging down. Will take the hard line out. Agree it has to be lack of fuel or air. Was hoping it was something you guys may have dealt with before.

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets slow down a bit. Lets take a picture first. Just like this one. Lets see if someone has fooled with the adjustments

Has the Droop been knob dicked? Has the linkage been checked? Has the engine stop adjustment been knob dicked?

You have talked about all sorts of stuff, and they all apply. And they seem to check out according to you.

Re-read TM. It's really feel like the governor is not responding quickly enough when load is added.
Read the TM's about the things I mentioned. Check the linkage. IAW the document attached. Then do the Droop adjustment.
1613901761866.jpeg

Attachments

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets slow down a bit. Lets take a picture first. Just like this one. Lets see if someone has fooled with the adjustments

Has the Droop been knob dicked? Has the linkage been checked? Has the engine stop adjustment been knob dicked?

You have talked about all sorts of stuff, and they all apply. And they seem to check out according to you.

Re-read TM. It's really feel like the governor is not responding quickly enough when load is added.
Read the TM's about the things I mentioned. Check the linkage. IAW the document attached. Then do the Droop adjustment.
View attachment 826418
Thanks guyfang. I knew I had to slow down last night, so I put the tool down and started typing instead :). I did not touch the droop adjustment myself but I can tell that the plug had been removed a few time ( paint gone and took mark) . Was very careful to follow the iP reinstall and adjustment procedure ( as per attached) . I didn't touch at any point the stop lever adjustment , but did take a turn of the rpm adjustment screw I order to be able to adjust knob to 60 hz when under full load. Will take a few pictures and post back. Guyfang, this is the set that was hydro locked because of amount of oil they used to fog the cylinder, and from marking may have been used for a tech to qualified on. So the droop may have been messed with. Or is it possible that when I set the IP counter clockwise I overdid it by a 1/8 of a turn . ( IP lever not allowed to rotate full open?)

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang, please see pic attached.

-No load 61hz set runs at 1815 rpm
- fuel shutoff, engaged /disengaged
- rpm/hz lever ( at this setting , maintains hz from 59.5 to 61 between no load and full load)
- IP position ( installed with shut off lever in off position and rotated counter clockwise carefully till slight pressure felt on lever moving to on position).

In incremental step, I'm thinking
1. disconecting air filter hose at intake manifold and test ( blockage in cannister? ).
2. Rotating all 4 IP 1/8 turn clockwise ( present setting not allowing IP to supply fuel?)
3. droop adjustment...... screw 14 in diagram 2

Attachments

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang, please see pic attached.

-No load 61hz set runs at 1815 rpm
- fuel shutoff, engaged /disengaged
- rpm/hz lever ( at this setting , maintains hz from 59.5 to 61 between no load and full load)
- IP position ( installed with shut off lever in off position and rotated counter clockwise carefully till slight pressure felt on lever moving to on position).

In incremental step, I'm thinking
1. disconecting air filter hose at intake manifold and test ( blockage in cannister? ).
2. Rotating all 4 IP 1/8 turn clockwise ( present setting not allowing IP to supply fuel?)
3. droop adjustment...... screw 14 in diagram 2

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
First check to see if the droop has been knob dicked.

Then you can adjust the IP's, using a heat gun, on the exhaust to see if you are more or less at the same temps. But I don't think that's it.You haven't said it vibrates any, or much. And when the IP's are out of sync, you do get some more then normal vibration.

By all means pull the air filter, but once again, don't think that's it. Every time I saw a restricted air problem, the exhaust turned gray/black/dirty.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now working,

Went back to TM and shop manual.

- No blockage on air Intake side
- reviewed IP install step.
- marked current position of IP , loosened retaining nut and rotated all 4 IP ~ 1/32" clockwise ( see pic for before and after)
- torqued everything back to specs

Powered up the set ran load test and no problems ( video attached)

All 4 cylinder are at 198°F +/- 1.5° under sustained load, no smoke , no vibration. Hz fluctuations under load still minimal.

The only obvious is that although I followed IP reinstall very carefully I turned counter clockwise a hair to much which did not let the IP lever travel far enough under load.

Attachments

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 826418
Another thing I noticed is that before today's fix , in order to get the hz to spec I had to backup one of the governor screw so that I could turn the RPM knob. - pic 1, - after adjusting the IP, the freeplay between governor lever stop and screw is equivalent to the amount I had unscrewed. - pic 2- Make sense I guess, , more fuel injected at earlier point

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks