• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP806A Double Delta Single Phase

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I see its a 12 lead alternator, any reason it cannot be wired in a double delta for 70% rated output in single phase?

Scoobyshep

Without being familiar with the specifics of that unit, You need to be aware of the sets controls monitoring and how the voltage regulator is being fed. why double delta and not a zigzag?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
In my limited knowledge it seems every alternator manual I read that has both zig-zag and double delta listed, they advise double delta and not zig-zag. Leroy Somers for example puts big bold text next to their zig-zag options "NOT ADVISED".

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I don't remember anymore, it has been a decade or so.
Was doing generators for Verizon, they ran a few 60KW.
I will have to ask one of my buddies that is still doing them. I just text messaged one of them, should have an answer soon.
Mike
Did Verizon use surplus generators at times?

MrMikey4026

No, surplus ever. When I was doing them they were installing new Katolight units. Katolight was bought out by MTU years ago.
They did have Kohler, Onan and Generac. The Generac's were on older sites.
Whenever I had to work on a surplus military unit they were a mess. The control and safety systems were terrible.
I ran into a few at fire stations and military sites.
Mechanically they were very durable.

Ray70

Correct, 804 and up should be a 10 wire.... or that's what we've all been told for years.
The 004 005 and 006 can be reconfigured to run single phase at full rated output, but the 804 and up can not due to the last 2 wires being connected internally somewhere...
If I recall correctly, a member here was recently considering opening one up to see how that internal connection is made, to see if there is a way to reconfigure it or not.

Ray70

Keep in mind 2 of the wires are field excite wires, so a 12 wire head has 14 wires total, 12 fat power wires and 2 smaller field wires.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm super curious about this possibility since the diagram in the TM shows it as a 10 wire head. There are 12 wires coming out but two are not load conductors. They are for the VR.

According to the diagram the load conductors should be T0-T9.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Good point, that makes it more interesting as I can't see 10 in any of the photos. I will have to get mine home and take some better photos. I reached out to the alternator manufacture to see if they had any knowledge to share about potentially re-configuring it.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
So the manual says single phase is possible in the default config. How much load could we pull in single phase and how balanced would it need to be? Trying to avoid getting a giant 3 phase transformer.

Attachments

Ray70

Correct, you can get single phase easily, but would need to do some creative wiring to try to get even close to 60Kw out of it! You don't want to run that gen for long periods of time with very little load and you don't want to grossly imbalance one leg with all your load and nothing on the other 2.
What are you trying to power with this machine and it's 60+ Kw potential output?