• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mig and huey pics

scooter01922

While off previewing the 818 today i finally got around to taking some pics of these for you guys. Huey is obviously never gonna leave its current position as anything but scrap but its still cool to look at. The Mig on the other hand may or may not be quasi functional. Its privately owned but sort of on static display at the airport. No idea on its mech condition but also still cool to look at.

Attachments

Wild Horse Hans

The Mig was functional about 7 or 8 years ago as I remember. The gent that owns it also has a Fouga Magistere, or at least used to. The Fouga was a real nice flying plane. It was a bit tough flying from the back seat looking through a periscope though.
Is that old Grumman S-2 Viking still over at the end of 2-20? He was getting it fixed up a couple years ago and I got to stand pretty close when he fired up both radials. Man that was great!
I used to fly out of Beverly many years ago. Got some A-1 Skyraider time and logged a lot of helo hours as well as some light plane hours there.

scooter01922

Not sure on the Grumman, can't really see it unless your flying in or out. Never knew exactly what it was as the last time i flew in to beverly i was more worried about keeping the instructor happy and dealing with the crosswind. Really, really, really need to get back in the air. First i gotta get all the trucks home so they can take the backseat to flying for a while.

WOW, that Fouga Magistere is one heck of a cool looking plane, just googled it as i had never heatd of such a beast. That guy must have some serious play money. Don't think i would let my mig sit out in the weather no matter how much cash i had though.

Last edited:

50shooter

Are those original single cobras? I'm moving to where you are and joining whatever it is you do so I can be whatever I'm suppose to be to fly those. A friend of mine flew those in Viet Nam and loved them. I never got out of the fixed wings but would sure love to.

50shooter

Buying that Huey would be the cheap part. Go for it and think about the dozens of M35, M818, M123 etc that you could have had.

hehe, my flight instructor used to say:

Q: How do you acquire a small fortune?
A: You take your large fortune and buy an airplane (helo...).

A Huey would be great though. Shake, rattle and roll!

Wild Horse Hans

Yes they both belonged to Dean at one time. The guy bought the Fouga and had it for awhile and then bought the Mig. They both used to be on the other side of the field and I used to take care of them for the owner. Flew the Fouga from the back seat a couple of times. I really liked Stu's T-28 much better. A radial beats a jet everytime for fun factor!

vtdeucedriver

Yes they both belonged to Dean at one time. The guy bought the Fouga and had it for awhile and then bought the Mig. They both used to be on the other side of the field and I used to take care of them for the owner. Flew the Fouga from the back seat a couple of times. I really liked Stu's T-28 much better. A radial beats a jet everytime for fun factor!

I had wondered.............knew I had seen it before.;-) So you know of DM??? Did you come up and learn the ways of the Mig????:p:p

vtdeucedriver

Which T-28 did he have????

Yes I agree on the Radial quote:) But dont agree on the "rent it"......have owned our girl since 1969, we have had no regrets, she is family!
YouTube - n3njeff's Channel

Wild Horse Hans

Stu Lamb had a T-28D that he kept at North Atlantic Air. Not sure what happened to it, but he was looking to get an A-1 Skyraider at one time. He may have been the one that bought the Viking that sat on the end of 2-20 a few years ago. He liked big heavy Navy planes with radial engines.
Your N3N looks great! Never got any biplane time, just a bit of T6,T28 and such plus helos. I was supposed to get a chance for some right seat in the Collins foundation B-17 with a friend, but it never happened.

Never got up to learn about Migs, but Dean is very well known for them. I heard he had or was getting a MIG21. That ever happen?

vtdeucedriver

Stu Lamb had a T-28D that he kept at North Atlantic Air. Not sure what happened to it, but he was looking to get an A-1 Skyraider at one time. He may have been the one that bought the Viking that sat on the end of 2-20 a few years ago. He liked big heavy Navy planes with radial engines.
Your N3N looks great! Never got any biplane time, just a bit of T6,T28 and such plus helos. I was supposed to get a chance for some right seat in the Collins foundation B-17 with a friend, but it never happened.

Never got up to learn about Migs, but Dean is very well known for them. I heard he had or was getting a MIG21. That ever happen?

Oh Jeese yes..................think 4 came over if not more. that was a long time ago. There may have been more but I know some single seats and some 2 seaters. For a time, he was flying the 2 seat to NAS PAX giving Navy pilots orientation rides and some other stuff for the Navy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks