• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be moving

hwcurtice

So guys, Thinking of moving about 3000 miles east. Someplace in the Charleston, SC area, Boeing.

So tell me the good, the bad, the ugly. Kinda need to know where to look for homes, where to stay away from. Big plus is 30-45 minute commute from Boeing.

This is information only. Moving is not a set plan at the moment.

Thank you for your insight to the area.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't want to live in Charleston itself. Not only is it expensive for decent neighborhoods, but the whole place is built on muck (silt), which means the streets are 'lumpy', or will be. It's also not very high off mean high tide (floating furniture on the second floor of houses during Hurricane Hugo). Better to be inland 15-20 miles, and not on or near water (creek, pond, etc.). Look at roads and commute times using Mapquest and Google Earth. Mount Pleasant is nice, but also low and the commute on I-526 to Boeing might get tiresome. Summerville is about as far inland as you want to go because of the commute time (think traffic).

On the brighter side, lots of antique shops, plenty of historical sites, great seafood, the MOH Museum at Patriots Point, many boating opportunities, moderate temps (my blood is too thin, but I know of someone who went swimming in the ocean on Dec 1). We have some folks from the area that can chime in with additional details.

hwcurtice

We noticed the price difference in the houses out in Summerville already. WOW! And it is within the travel, commute range, for Boeing. Kinda figured that Charleston itself would be kinda mucky, being so close to the ocean and all.

From all the listings I've read, are termites the state bird or something?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Termites are just part of living in the southeast. Not a big deal if the house is treated and you have a bond with an exterminator and an annual inspection.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The termites we have are not 'native', but came in on lumber being imported about 100 years ago. Much more aggressive, but they can be contained by regular inspections by an exterminator. Annual termite inspections are generally required by the mortgage companies.

Another plus is the Medical University of South Carolina is located in Charleston, so top notch doctors are in the area.

hwcurtice

I was really hoping to get more information. Seems to be an LAV size number of people from SC here, but....

Please, need way more information. I may, or may not be making a recon trip in February to scope out neighborhoods and the like. So please, places to avoid, places to go. And I mean, neighborhoods I don't want to live in.

Thanks again!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I interviewed at the Medical University of SC (MUSC) and know someone there and I just pinged him for you. We'll see if I get an answer. :)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
People I knew at MUSC have passed to the other side, Dick Sosnowski and Julian Buxton, About the only ones I know down there now are COL Henry Durant, and a couple of neurosurgeons, Art Pacult and Curt Worthington. People I know from work live over in Mt. Pleasant.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harold, My friend got back with me and he wanted more information. Will there be children involved with the possible relocation?

He said there are definitely areas to avoid.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harold,
A good bud relocated to SC from NM for a Boeing job several years ago, I'll give him a call and get the scoop.
JC

Another Ahab

I'm in, just to hear all the chatter about Charleston:

- The Washington Post just labelled it one of the ten best restaurant cities in the U.S.

Subscribed.

Another Ahab

But livability. And other fun things.

I mean, food is important, but there's more to living there.
Absolutely I get it; totally.

Just adding a note also about something I read once about the city:

- It was hit by one of the biggest earthquakes ever registered in the U.S.

- I think that was late in the 19th Century, like the 1890's or something.

The town was leveled if I'm not mistaken. Might mean nothing, and it might mean something. Who knows?

gottaluvit

I lived in Summerville and Ladson for only a few months each place and really liked Summerville, but wasn't so fond of Ladson. But you know how it goes with opinions, and I wasn't even 20 yet. Still hsve a niece and nephew in Summerville. Both deliver mail and love the town.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
- It was hit by one of the biggest earthquakes ever registered in the U.S.

- I think that was late in the 19th Century, like the 1890's or something.
1886. Many buildings were damaged, but it was too expensive to tear them down and rebuild, so many buildings were bolted together with very large iron rods passing through from one side of the building to the other. There are buildings still standing with the bolts, nuts and washers visible, usually just above the ceiling or between floors.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1886. Many buildings were damaged, but it was too expensive to tear them down and rebuild, so many buildings were bolted together with very large iron rods passing through from one side of the building to the other. There are buildings still standing with the bolts, nuts and washers visible, usually just above the ceiling or between floors.

I highly recommend the horse carriage tours in Charleston to get some history on the city. We have taken 4 (I think) and taken a different route every time as they manage how many horses/carriages go on each router per day and it's a crap shoot as to which route you get.

They will tell you about where the papers were signed for the War of Northern Aggression as they like to call it and see the real Tiffany Glass front door on the house down by Battery Park. The painting of porch ceilings a certain for warding off spirits and you see so many of the bolts/nuts/rods holding the 5 million dollar houses together. They flip houses down there more than an acrobat doing a routine. People move in find out they are not allowed to do anything they want and it dawns on them that a house two stories high, 50 feet long and about 3 feet wide isn't all they had hoped for. (Yes, I'm exaggerating but not by much.)

As for my friend, here is his latest response. I agree with North Charleston (I don't like it).

###
By and large, the public schools in the city of North Charleston are poor. While North Charleston has some great neighborhoods (and some terrible ones), the school situation would give me pause if I had a 12 year old.

The schools in the peninsular part of the city of Charleston are not very good either. My wife and I live on the peninsula, and we love it. But we had to make the choice (reluctantly) to put our kid through private school.

If your friend is willing to commute, there are plenty of great places to live, with schools that range from good to great. Regardless of the neighborhood(s) he's considering, he should ask about the schools.
###

Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks