• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military antenna for a AM FM radio ?

digitaldust

SO how would a military antenna work for AM FM radio in a,,, say M1009 after all your
receiving signals so SWR would be little worry. I have played with this at home on a aircraft radio that picks up FM broadcast in the 106 - 107.9 low end of the RX

I just wonder would this save a MV from a civ antenna and fender hold that does not look the part ?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about the AT-677/VR ? It is a VHF antenna about 5-6FT tall or so and ought to do well for AM or FM radios. The base is like a ball mount.

SWR won't really matter for an entertainment receiver and a pic. and the SWR chart I made covering 126-173MHz is here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...ics/18993-antenna-677-vr-what.html#post194022

It works well for 2-meter ham, and on the MURS frequencies, basically from 140-180MHz (which was as high as my portable instrument would go). I think its intended use was around 150-160MHz for MPs.

They are usually cheap because no one wants them, everyone wants the antennas for PRC-77/25, VRC-12 stuff, and sincgars.

Alternately, a military HF whip will do nicely for an entertainment receiver becaue it has no tuned circuits and is just a bunch of screw-together sections. 3 minimum, usually. The individual sections are available in short (20" assembled) or long (36.25" assembled) variants.
You could use three shorties plus a base & mount for a 6FT stick.

also see for mor SWR plots:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...nics/56831-cb-antenna-website.html#post671235

and for the very common HF antenna types, with part numbers for the different sections:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...military-antennas-amature-use.html#post615568

How do I know?
see image below!
I often had 4 nets but all I ever caught was prowords and chatter.

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, its a couple of time lapse frames in the commo truck during a mission, so one frame was entering data on the computer and another was with the mike keyed relaying information.

I would never have a stroke on duty and on camera because that would make the unit look bad.
I did my duty and waited until the mission was completed and I was dismissed before having the stroke. HOOAH!

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know, they are not common. That is why I mentioned the HF sectional stuff. Try Haney Electronics, "haneyelect" on eBay, remote chance he might have one, he's got all kinds of other stuff. ""

Rustygears

Please note that many of the VHF antennas mounts have a dc ground inductor to bleed off static buildup, etc. these inductors, usually in the base of the mount, will short out frequencies below VHF, like AM and shortwave. If you want to use one of these mil antenna mounts, you'll need to either remove the inductor or put in a much larger value so that the low pass filter formed by the inductor will have a passband below am or sw, depending on your application.

digitaldust

that is good to know , I dont really plan on AM radio more or less FM broadcast with a MX3900 and I have 3 new unopened mx6707 kits w/ whips for radio HAM use
I have a little testing to do

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks