• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military "Cattle-Cars"

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted this thread under "trailers' since it seemed the most appropriate.

(Way) back when I was in the Marine Corps, (1981-1985), I remember riding in the glorious, "cattle-car." Seems like they were mainly at Parris Island, S.C., (boot camp), but maybe elsewhere.

Are there any pics or videos out there of one or more of these tractor-trailer people movers? I know the "trailer" portion was silver and had a lot of grab-bars and rails inside where the "seating" was. I don't rermeber what truck was used to pull them, though.

Just reminiscing. Would love to see one again. Were they out-lawed? :lol:

steelandcanvas

RE: USMC Cattle Cars

When I took BCT at Ft. Ord in 1974 we had them there. IIRC, they were pulled by a Civi style tractor, probably a 2 axle International, I know it wasn't a tactical tractor.

54reo

There was one of these on GL at Ft. Leonard Wood recently. I'll have to see if I kept a pic of it.

Citizensoldier may remember this one as well...

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR

I rode in one at Fort Sill in 2004 , you should have seen the names and writing on the wall from allll the years

If a LMTV is legal then they are lol , fit 3 platoons stacked on top each other , man those were the days.

90's LN8000 single axle tractors pulled ours

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were quite a few on Camp Pendleton late '70s/early 80's. The tractor's there were normally Dodge, some were 4x2, some were 4x4 and sat noticeably higher. I recall some similar Dodge 6x6 tractors around and about, but don’t remember them pulling cattle cars.

They looked something close to the attached picture, but of course they were green and not fire trucks (best pic I could find).

Cheers

Attachments

jwaller

the basic traning base here in SC. Fort Jackson uses primarily 1 ton chevys fords and dodges that have flat stake bodies with deuce covers on the rear to move the troops around. HTH's

FrankUSMC

I have a friend here that has 4 USMC cattle cars. He said if I wanted one he would sell it to me for $1500. One of them has been made into a moble office. I am thinking of getting one just to put on display here with the rest of the collection, it would be neat to show new Marines what we were stacked up in.
How many of you had DIs that would make bets on how many recruits they could get into a cattle car?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Alredneck

Banned
Yea I remember them times, these days I get to ride in style hehe! Or do a lot of walking!!!! ( Thats actually the safest route) Bulldog, you a lanyard puller 13b, or a walktalkie steel droppy 13f?

beaubeau

One of the best times I had was driving a TT and pulling a Cattle Car at MCB.Quantico and I had to pick up at OCS and haul some of our future Officers. This was back in 1970 and we had Internationals R200 tractors and several GMC 6x6s. I went as fast as I could go and I hit as many Bumps as I say! Pay back !!!The cattle cars were painted Marine Corps Green. I remember riding in them at Parris Island to and from the rifle range. 1967, long time ago!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks