• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Vehicle Camper Insurance

thmpr

Chime in about how you insured your modified camper military vehicle. Getting denials from insurers because it was modified into a camper.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chime in about how you insured your modified camper military vehicle. Getting denials from insurers because it was modified into a camper.
Indiana here, not Arizona, so things may differ, but my camper conversion is insured as an RV by State Farm. Had to give a few pictures showing that it was indeed modified to be an RV, but no hassles beyond that.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progressive, as a commercial vehicle for personal use. All it took was finding a motivated enough agent to actually want to help me.

The chassis is insured presently, and when I am ready to use the camper for real, I will insure that as a separate item, like a utility bed setup.

Based in Oregon, so your options may differ. Keep calling until you find an agent who cares.

Third From Texas

I'm under "former military vehicle" currently but when I asked about RV coverage Hagerty said "no problemo".

I haven't finished the build and there's some question as to whether Texas will even register it as an RV (which won't matter, I'll just legally register it elsewhere under my LLC if need be). But insurance doesn't appear to be an issue with Hagerty.

Now a lot of underwriters are very "location" specific and some places they won't cover (or will but at astronomical cost). They adjust or deny based on location. They may turn away a customer in East LA but welcome the owner from Nowhere Montana with the exact same truck. They go by thefts, crime, etc for certain zip codes.

So I would say keep shopping. And never say things like "off road" or "overland".

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm under "former military vehicle" currently but when I asked about RV coverage Hagerty said "no problemo".
Hah!! My LMTV is why I Ieft Hagerty. I went the full disclosure route (didn't want any problems if I ever had a claim), telling them up front I wanted to shake it down as-is before converting it to an RV. They flat out denied me ANY coverage. I was explicitly clear that it wasn't modified in any way and I didn't want to do anything to it until I was confident in driving it around and such.

They didn't care.

I had Hagerty for my GT and another older car and started shopping around because it was ridiculous. I found Grundy for the two cars and added the truck with Progressive, all for the same money as it was for the car only with Hagerty. In the end it saved me a bit of $'s, so I guess thanks, Hagerty?

For the record- clean driving record, no claims, no unpaid bills, etc... No other reasons why they might be inclined to harass me. Up til then I had been quite content with them, but as I said, no claims so not sure how they treat you when needed.

thmpr

I was just denied by Hagerty because they do NOT cover camper conversions of military vehicles - went to the top to verify. Followed cbrTodd's suggestion about State Farm RV and seems to be working. Will be half the cost of Hagerty and can use it as an RV. Will have an answer in a few days. Keeping my fingers crossed. Denied by Hagerty, Grundy, Chubb, FCIS, Gieco, Progressive, American Modern, etc., etc.

Third From Texas

Hah!! My LMTV is why I Ieft Hagerty. I went the full disclosure route (didn't want any problems if I ever had a claim), telling them up front I wanted to shake it down as-is before converting it to an RV. They flat out denied me ANY coverage. I was explicitly clear that it wasn't modified in any way and I didn't want to do anything to it until I was confident in driving it around and such.

They didn't care.

I had Hagerty for my GT and another older car and started shopping around because it was ridiculous. I found Grundy for the two cars and added the truck with Progressive, all for the same money as it was for the car only with Hagerty. In the end it saved me a bit of $'s, so I guess thanks, Hagerty?

For the record- clean driving record, no claims, no unpaid bills, etc... No other reasons why they might be inclined to harass me. Up til then I had been quite content with them, but as I said, no claims so not sure how they treat you when needed.
That's so odd. They literally told me that they would write it as a RV with no issue. I'll ask about it again come renewal time.

They know it's military but I was very careful to never mention "off road" (full disclosure or not, that's one thing the industry frowns on).

I've no loyalty to Hagerty, though. If they turn me down when the time comes I'll find another. In the end, there are a multitude of ways these vehicles can be registered/insured that are fully legit.

coachgeo

That's so odd. They literally told me that they would write it as a RV with no issue. I'll ask about it again come renewal time.

They know it's military but I was very careful to never mention "off road" (full disclosure or not, that's one thing the industry frowns on).

I've no loyalty to Hagerty, though. If they turn me down when the time comes I'll find another. In the end, there are a multitude of ways these vehicles can be registered/insured that are fully legit.
not odd at all. Ins. calculates coverage (or not) based on statistics of accidents/payouts IN YOUR GENERAL LOCATION. That is why everyone seems to get different answers from folk about Ins. This is also why SSoldiers has a separate forum on this site broke down by state for insurance questions.

Last edited:

ramdough

I haven't finished the build and there's some question as to whether Texas will even register it as an RV (which won't matter, I'll just legally register it elsewhere under my LLC if need be). But insurance doesn't appear to be an issue with Hagerty.

Now a lot of underwriters are very "location" specific and some places they won't cover (or will but at astronomical cost). They adjust or deny based on location. They may turn away a customer in East LA but welcome the owner from Nowhere Montana with the exact same truck. They go by thefts, crime, etc for certain zip codes.

So I would say keep shopping. And never say things like "off road" or "overland".
If you read their site, they say no RV’s. But they also have an article that talks about RV conversions with an LMTV.

They said repeatedly that they will not cover an RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third From Texas

If you read their site, they say no RV’s. But they also have an article that talks about RV conversions with an LMTV.

They said repeatedly that they will not cover an RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not denying that's the case, but it certainly wasn't the last time I spoke to them on the phone a couple years ago.

The literally stated word-per-word that when I completed the conversion, to just let them know and include photos and estimated value, and they would underwrite it.

Has their policy with RV's changed? Quite likely. Everything seems to have changed in this country....

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indiana here, not Arizona, so things may differ, but my camper conversion is insured as an RV by State Farm. Had to give a few pictures showing that it was indeed modified to be an RV, but no hassles beyond that.
I also have State farm for mine and it's not modified into a camper yet but I've already explained the situation to them and they said the same thing just send photos when it is and should be no problem

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Followed CBRTodd's recommendation of State Farm. After a week at their underwriters, I have full RV insurance for $632.56 per year. Got plates, ready to rumble. Thanks!
Glenn
What state are you in? I’m in Florida, I’ve had my LMTV insured with State Farm for 7 years as a truck, just finished the build and had the title change to RV.
This morning State Farm says their underwriter said they cannot insure it and will be dropping me.
many help would be appreciated.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What state are you in? I’m in Florida, I’ve had my LMTV insured with State Farm for 7 years as a truck, just finished the build and had the title change to RV.
This morning State Farm says their underwriter said they cannot insure it and will be dropping me.
Wow that sucks, I also have State farm and I've let them know from the very beginning what the plan was and they said they were good with that. Sure hope that doesn't happen to me as well when mine is turned into an RV.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guessing that you already have - but have you tried a different agent? They seem to be the key. Some know how the job is done and some are learning the insurance business on your dime.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Progressive as well Keith. My chassis is insured through them as a commercial vehicle for personal use and the box can be insured separately like the utility beds put onto pickups. I'm in Oregon or else I would send you his contact info. He was very attentive to securing coverage.

The real trick was finding an agent who gave a crap. It is possible, but my personal assessment is that these things are non-conventional and the motivation for an agent to figure it out is minimal if they are fat and happy with their current portfolio.

Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks