• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mini Electricity Meter

Artisan

I have a need to monitor how much power I use in MV camper.

120V, basically just a camper trailer w/ A/C, lights, refer, radio etc.

Is there an El Cheapo way to do this?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Aside from a "kilo-watt" meter, that only reads the wattage of one outlet, how about a house meter like the electric company uses? Got any houses getting torn down near you? Could be cheap if you don't buy new.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That ekm meter is nice. Could easily be wired inline with the output from the inverter and only $90. Good find.

A $20 kila-watt meter from wally world and a cheap extension cord, $10 and you could also wire it between the output of the inverter and your outlets.

The $90 option would be prettier when done.

You see a lot of the solar guys measuring usage to compare to the value they are getting from their charge controller during new additions to their system and seeing how much reserve their system has at peak capacity.

You could always solder some wires to the kila-watt and put it behind a nice cutout. But how much are you gonna spend in the long run going that route?

So how cheap do you want to be? Oh, I also think there is shipping going the $90 route.

My 2/100ths of a dollar.

m109a2

AS we all know a kwh is the same as a 100 watt bulb that will burn for 10 hours=1000 watts.If you buy a killo-watt meter plug it in one device at a time say 12 hours next day again 12 hours on a different device and so on when you are done add the numbers together look at the back of your bill for price of a kilowatt hour in your neck of the woods multiply and there you are.Things like your a/c and ice box will cycle so this is about the cheapest route.There are web sites out there that will tell you how much power each device will use(non cycling).I would not do a load analysis on a coffee pot for it will not run 12 hours but look it up and add that to the mix.Any thing that creates heat or cold takes a lot of power lcd tv`s,cf lights not much.I hope this helps.Al

quickfarms

What are you trying to accomplish?

The lights are pretty much a non issue today with leds

The radio is a constant draw when on

The ac and fridge are big variables and there use will depend on the outside/ inside temperature

What about heat, water heater, cooking and water pump?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all lights are LED in a camper. I just finished replacing all the interior and exterior lights on ours.

Looks great unless you try to turn or hit the brakes and then the whole thing lights up like a taco truck. I have a strong dislike for LEDs in the brake or turn signal circuit.

The Kill-O-Watt should work for most stuff.

Artisan

I am trying to meter electrical usage in the camper, total used,
at any given time accumulated or maybe a 2 week or 30 day interval.

Lights are not LED.

m109a2

The best advice you will get is plug in your mvrv is to read your electric meter date the time of plug in make it the same as plug out 24 hours later live as you live per day turn off ever thing in the house and I mean everything this will tell you what you need to know what your mvrv will draw on a average day just to get a clue it just that simple read the back of your bill and it will tell you how to read the meter run a generator or run off the neighbor power for freezer and ice box.Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks