• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern digital generator controller conversion?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I have this generator controller on hand, and looking at the sensor inputs it looks to support each of the critical sensors on the MEP802a.

Has anyone updated their unit to something like this? It would get me auto startup and shutdown, logging and a lot of failure detection and reaction options, etc. It even seems to support oil pressure delay cranking.

61E+coNy0aL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

nextalcupfan

I looked into those for my 803a, my opinion is when those fail how do you get replacements?

While it is getting harder to find OEM parts for these sets the good thing is a lot of stuff is standardized, so with some digging you can find an "equivalent" part.

As for the auto startup and shutdown feature, I made my own out of a Raspberry Pi 4, a Relay board, and a few power supplies.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Are most people doing a manual transfer switch or lock out setup? I am having issues finding the automatic transfer switch part that will switch a 200 amp service. This generator controller will handle the logic, even telling the switching device to change, i just need to locate said device.

Last edited:

nextalcupfan

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Ok ordered up a generac 200 amp ATS. This model:

s-l500.jpg

I looked over the manual and the good thing for me is the box itself has very little automation. It does support load shedding and senses/controls which ac units are allowed to be on at the same time. Now I need to figure out which way to go:

1.) Remove all the smart components and just make use of the big contactor and let my generator ats controller run it
or
2.) Figure out how they are interacing with the box, wether I need to use a MCU (maybe ESP32) to interface with it. What T1. N1, N2 and TRANSFER terminals do.

e.png

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
What I have added to my information is that if you ground the "transfer" terminal it switches the load, disconnect and it switches back. I think this is all I need for my generator control board to be able to handle the load switching. Terminals T1, N1 and N2 are still a mystery. They are fuse protected which would indicate they could be direct connections to the two contactor coils?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Here is the controller manual. It looks like a bit of configuring, but it seems to have the flexibility to handle the I/O and logic I need. Looking at the diagram at the end (I am setting up single phase not 3 phase), it calls for 5a secondary current sensors (CTs), I have those ordered, but otherwise I think the generator has all the sensors needed. How many teeth are on the crank of a 802a? I saw that as an important setting, otherwise it says it uses Hz to estimate rpm.

Attachments

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking control panel. Here is my 2 cents worth - One reason I have a MEP-802 and MEP-16's and 531's is because they are extremely simple and easy to work on, which makes them reliable from my point of view. After working with fancy computer controlled generators for many years, I prefer the KISS approach to reliability. Some of the digatal displays and controls can take weeks or month to get, and frequently the digital controls are already obsolete and updated by the time the machine gets set up on site. One reason we never worried about digital failures was, that most of the equipment was double or triple redundant. What you do all depends on what reliability you want, and what your troubleshooting skills are. While a remote start, and monitoring are nice, I prefer to look at the machine, and listen to it, so I know everything is well.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Got it up and running by bypassing the fuel solenoid and jumping the starter. Waiting for a 4 position key switch to arrive so I can try the built in controls.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks