• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modest reliable upgrades for NHC-250?

mdainsd

What is/are some basic mods to improve the performance of the NHC250? I don't want to go crazy, I sure as heck don't want to "roll coal", but with 53" tires the ol girl is about as gutless as the day is long :sad:. I have read through the threads and see a moderate turbo with a modest bump in fuel seems to be a straight forward approach?

Thoughts?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Plenty of threads on this.

You only need a dual fuel line and air intake upgrade. Thosemilitaryguys makes a air intake mod. There are a few others on cutting the inner ring from the intake. I myself made a sort of ram air system on the inner fender liner with a 1000cfm filter. It works. You can also have your pump button dropped to a #16 or 18 and some good metering done and you will get a benefit. The dual fuel line install is by far the most beneficial. You can give it as much fuel as you want as long as you give her some air to breathe.

Turbos are ok but that is personal choice and damage can occur over the long term if one is negligent. Any 5 ton regardless of engine with 1600s is going to gut gutless with the Allison. It only allows so much power to go thru it. And it's gearing just sucks in general. Even worse with a stock 8.3 vs the NHC250.

Is your transmission modulator cable properly adjusted? This can make a truck seem well pretty much like a sloth on getting up to speed if it is not adjusted right.

mdainsd

I will check the modulator cable adjustments first. Ive fallen prey to not doing the obvious first before (du-Ohh).

Are you saying the 8.3s (stock) are even worse?

Mark

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will check the modulator cable adjustments first. Ive fallen prey to not doing the obvious first before (du-Ohh).

Are you saying the 8.3s (stock) are even worse?

Mark

Off the line yes. Especially with 1600s. They have turbo lag before they have power.

a dual fuel line mod will give you alot better throttle response off the get go.

mdainsd

I looked up the dual line mod, seems like a weekend job, very straight forward.

I have my baseline. My m37 kicks the 921s arse up to about 45. I know, that bar is pretty low ...

74M35A2

Most reliable upgrade for a 250 is to put an 8.3L in its place! Sorry, just had to say it....... Can't beat the sound or low speed torque of an 855 engine though, I will give it that, but they are thirsty and get asthma once you get close to a freeway.

Please post any changes you make, we are trying to get people to actually document improvements, such as a timed acceleration run before vs after, etc...

mdainsd

But I don't want a pickup truck engine in my 5 ton! Sorry, just had to say it. (Its all good).

I will try and be disciplined about making real measurements.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked up the dual line mod, seems like a weekend job, very straight forward.
Until you find the rust hole or something under the floor mat and have to re-weld 1/2 the cab floor.

Or I just have bad luck.
Other things if you're going to play with power are to get a pyro to measure exhaust temp.

While it's not performance, coolant filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks