• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modify M101A2 trailer for more room?

Milbikes

Is it feasible to put 1 1/2" wheel spacers on an M101A2 trailer, and trim/ move the fender wells 2" closer to the wall on each side? I would like to have 49" between the fender wells.

I hate modifying stock vehicles.....would I be better off getting a M101A3 and putting the CUCV style wheels on it so the wheels match my M1008?

Thanks for any thoughts. H.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I think you'd be better off getting a A3. Either that or pick up a M105 and put a smaller axle under it.

Milbikes

How do I identify an M101A2 with an M101A3 bed? I have seen some listed asM101A3 but they have the A2 type wheel wells and no fender extensions. Would an A2 with the A3 bed have CUCV type wheels and a straighter axle? H.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option is using an M105 bed on the 101A2 chassis. I've seen one done out of need and it was actually pretty nice. An extra foot of cargo space doesn't hurt either. A3 beds just have wider appearing outside fenders.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pick up a M105 and put a smaller axle under it.
Another option is using an M105 bed on the 101A2 chassis. I've seen one done out of need and it was actually pretty nice. An extra foot of cargo space doesn't hurt either.
Kenny, It sounds like your option would be easier than mine and accomplish the same goal. Is a M105 bed a direct bolt-on to the M101 chassis?

I've got a couple of M105 beds than need a chassis. You just gave me an idea. ;)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not exactly a bolt on Ty. I forget who did one but I thought it was a silly idea but in the end, he had a nice trailer! M116s are good for something! LOL

Milbikes

Wow! That M1008 with the trailer bed on it looks great! Was it difficult to install?

Reminds me of a late sixties Jeep pickup I saw for sale once. It was firetruck red, civilian cab and front fenders, and a bed that looked like a smaller M715 bed. It was a great looking truck, and the owner told me it was stock. I had never seen one before. I didn't buy it....just another on my many stupid moves in life! H.

knighthawk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the look of the M1008 with the M101A3 bed. What tires and wheels are you running and how much did you have to lift it ?

Pawnshop

Is it really necessary to widen the axle or put spacers under the wheels if you spread put the fender wells 2" on each side? I have been seriously considering this mod as well, but was not planning on widening the tire spacing. Anyone done it with problems?

BTW: I think the photo above of the bed insides is a late A2 bed, this is the inside of an A3 bed, note the thin fender wells:

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a A3 trailer but it dont have the flared out fenders. has the offset axle . surge brakes and the jack . all the extra angle braces just not the wide fenders. i think ill need to install some to cover the tires that stick out:beer:

ChrisABQ07

I have a M101A2/3 (M116A3 1-ton chassis with the drop axle under a late M101A2 bed) that has had this modification done to it. The guy I bought it from had cut 4.75 inches off the in-bed fenders. He tack welded this piece on top of the fender left at the bed wall. Then he welded a flat piece over the hole in the floor. The end result was 5-inch in-bed fenders and 55 inches between them (perfect for his ATV). I later added a piece of angle iron to reinforce the fender/floor joints.
The side effect of the wider drop axle was wheels sticking out past the trailer bed. I could just see tossing a rock into a state trooper's windshield as I turned off of a gravel road...
I ended up designing some fender extensions and braces for the outside of the bed as a work around. They also has a few extra benefits - extra fuel, water, storage... a place for a spare tire...

Here's that link:

M101A2/3 Fender Extensions

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks